Shiretoko Firefox 3.5 Beta?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Shiretoko Firefox 3.5 Beta?

Postby Till on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Earlier today my system got some new upgrades (the command line improvements were among them), with Firefox 3.5 most noted. After the upgrade was completed, i noticed that that old Firexox (3.0.11) was still present in the system, and a new program was installed: Shiretoko Web Browser, Firefox 3.5 Beta. Upon opening it, when hitting Help - About i see "Version 3.5, Mozilla Firefox for Linux Mint - 1.0".

is this how it is supposed to be? I thought that an upgrade is, uh, an upgrade, thus the old firefox would be replaced by the new one. And what's the story with that Shiretoko thing? And why does it say "Firefox 3.5 beta" in the Menu entry? Or is it that I have done something wrong and somehow I screwed things over?
Till
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Shiretoko Firefox 3.5 Beta?

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:00 pm

The stable version of Firefox in Gloria is 3.0.11.
The only version of 3.5 is an early Beta and is installed along side of the stable 3.0.11.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Till on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Well, that explains everything I guess... Thanks for the answer mate.
Till
Level 1
Level 1

Postby todds on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:15 am

Hello,the current firefox 3.5 version that is available is actually the stable version of 3.5 and not a beta. Here is an extract from clems blog.

Don’t mind the fact that it’s called “Shiretoko” and that it mentions “Beta”, this version of Firefox is the stable 3.5 version. Upstream, Ubuntu decided to keep version 3.0 as the main Firefox version for Jaunty Jackalope users and since Firefox 3.1/3.5 was made available as a Beta (3.5b4) at the time, they apparently decided it should keep its beta name (Shiretoko).

full blog post available at http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/ which explains everything in a lot more detail.
todds
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications