Making windows app work without installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Making windows app work without installation

Postby Jake on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm getting rid of my secondary windows partition, and I've moved all important files off that partition into a external hard drive or my Mint partition. However I have one application (a game) that I know can be made to run on some Linux distro's so I would like to try it out on Mint. The only problem is I am missing 2 of the 4 installation disks, so while I can still run it on my windows partition since I have the play disk, I can't try reinstalling it on Mint unless I find the other disks, which does not seem very likely.

I was wondering if there was a way I could get the game to work without installing it on Mint by just taking the whole folder from program files and dumping it into Mint, and then following the Linux compatibility guide like I would normally if I had installed the game. As I type this it sounds pretty stupid to myself, but if there is a chance I rather know and try it before obliterating my windows partition.

Sorry in advance for any dead brain cells caused by this post.
Jake
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Making windows app work without installation

Postby DrHu on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Jake wrote:However I have one application (a game) that I know can be made to run on some Linux distro's

More context needed; What is the game name ??
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Making windows app work without installation

Postby Rodrigian on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:29 pm

you could copy the folder and export with regedit, all the registry files to a *.reg file?
Rodrigian
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications