LM Suggestions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LM Suggestions

Postby Rodrigian on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Hello, i'm new. I really like linux mint, i love the included codecs, flash, etc. But i think that the mint experience could be improved:

- Plymouth should be included: People in Fedora, are using this now, and i think that is better than usplash
- Updated repos: Like fedora not like ubuntu
- Not include screenshots in Package manager: In small screen resolutions, the screenshot plus the review, makes impossible to read the description. I think you should make the interface more minimalistic

i think is time to cut the cord, from ubuntu. Nowadays, linux mint is not ubuntu. I think that if linux mint keeps behind ubuntu, it will never separate from it, it would be "another ubuntu derivated"

PD: im not a fedora fan but i have to recognise that innovations in fedora are great. For example when firefox updates, it doesen´t enter inmediatly to ubuntu's repos it takes about a month to enter. I think that linux mint is big enough to have it's own repositories
Rodrigian
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LM Suggestions

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 pm

- Plymouth should be included: People in Fedora, are using this now, and i think that is better than usplash
Doesn't support enough video cards yet.
I don't think Linux Mint 8 will use it either. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=NzI5NQ
- Updated repos: Like fedora not like ubuntu
:?:
- Not include screenshots in Package manager: In small screen resolutions, the screenshot plus the review, makes impossible to read the description. I think you should make the interface more minimalistic
The Package Manager(Synaptic) Doesn't show the screenshots.
The Software Manager(mintInstall) does have thumbnails.
PD: im not a fedora fan but i have to recognise that innovations in fedora are great. For example when firefox updates, it doesen´t enter inmediatly to ubuntu's repos it takes about a month to enter. I think that linux mint is big enough to have it's own repositories
It doesn't take a month for a new version of Firefox to be added to the Ubuntu Repos.
We do have a repo and have our own Firefox package in it.
Firefox 3.5 is already in the repo for Gloria. http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=958
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Software & Applications