how to edit mintMenu?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aging Technogeek

Re: how to edit mintMenu?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Right click on the Mintmenu icon and select "Edit Menu". Choose a menu category and click on an item to highlight it. Click the check box to display the item, uncheck to hide, move the item up or down, add new items, delete old items, etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Right click on the Mintmenu icon and select "Edit Menu". Choose a menu category and click on an item to highlight it. Click the check box to display the item, uncheck to hide, move the item up or down, add new items, delete old items, etc.
Then right click and select Reload Plugins.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

have you tried logging out and logging in again? That solves many issues I've noticed e.g. the keyboard shortcut. Failing that, the menu file is in ~/.config/menus/applications.menu
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Last resort: Have a look in /usr/share/applications, the .desktop files in there describe the items found in the menu.

Clem.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

imploder wrote:Is there also a way to get the current Places items into mintMenu? I made several more ones, they show up in nautilus and the file selection dialogs but not in the mintmenu. MintMenu is not high enough to contain all of them, but perhaps it could expand and show them all?
Not currently, but this is a planned feature for a future version.
gtype

Post by gtype »

well, since we are talking about mint menu future features, i would like to request a few:

- edit the spacing between stuff, like between the My Computer and Home Folder
- edit the Places and System menus (already requested above)
- edit the spacing of the separator
- make the space between panels, like between Places and Applications dynamic, with a border value, instead of being static (also between the categories and the launchers, like the space between the listing "All, Accessories etc" and "about me, Appearance etc)

i guess thats it for now, and btw, congrats on the menu, it made go from kde to gnome heh

thanks

edit:
also please make a gui for that :P

oh, and although its not menu related, since im making requests... put some option in mint desktop or something to change the timeout of the auto user login when we press ctrl alt backspace, with the "instantaneous" option included :)

edit2:
i was gonna paste some screens to show why im requesting those, but the app doesnt appear when i press prtsc with the menu open. dunno if its a mint menu thing just thought i would report it
thanks again
Last edited by gtype on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

gtype wrote:- edit the spacing between stuff, like between the My Computer and Home Folder
- edit the Places and System menus (already requested above)
- edit the spacing of the separator
- make the space between panels, like between Places and Applications dynamic, with a border value, instead of being static (also between the categories and the launchers, like the space between the listing "All, Accessories etc" and "about me, Appearance etc)
If you look in gconf-editor you should see most of those settings.
gtype

Post by gtype »

maybe, but they are static values, like height and width, i was talking about making it dynamic with a border value. and it should be configured by gui, if possible of course

edit:
here are the screens

userbox_mint

Post by userbox_mint »

Hello there, i hope i found the correct thread!

Im wondering how i could change some entries in the mint menue - in ways that are NOT accessible through using existing graphical interfaces.
I want to remove a menuentry in the section "all applications", especially the entry: "all". It has a linux-mint logo and lists all the currently installed applications.

I managed to get to /usr/lib/linuxmint/.../XY.py - but i have no clue which of the .py's is the right one, neither the correct section.
Could anyone help please?

Thanks!
robsmint

Post by robsmint »

I have found the only way to change the order of menu items is to put numbers at the start of the name in the menu editor.
(I am using Mint 7 so version 4.7.9 of MintMenu.)

Go to e.g. Preferences - Main Menu - Internet and select properties then edit the Name field e.g
1. Firefox
2. Deluge
3. Thunderbird
etc.
Seems that there is an alphanumeric sort going on in one of the files that over-rides any "Move Up" or "Move Down" choices that are made in the Menu Editor.
The result of the "Move Up" or "Move Down" appears to be in the Layout section of ~/.config/menus/applications.menu
Perhaps some-one can throw some light on where that sort is to allow the apparent functionality of the changing of order to work as intended.
Possibly this is in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py but is beyond my python skills to diagnose.
In the meantime the above is an effective workaround.
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bug67 »

So, maybe this is version specifc? I'm running Mint 8 (Gloria). Anyhow, I've noticed the the Software Manager's icon in my Mint Menu looks like a yellow star. However, in gtype's screen shot and some others I've seen on the web, it's the Linux Mint icon. Any way to make mine minty fresh? :D
Asus X550CA Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz x2
RAM: 12 GiB, SSD: 250 GiB
http://www.vegetablesandwich.com/
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

(Reviving this old thread)
robsmint wrote:I have found the only way to change the order of menu items is to put numbers at the start of the name in the menu editor.
(I am using Mint 7 so version 4.7.9 of MintMenu.)

Go to e.g. Preferences - Main Menu - Internet and select properties then edit the Name field e.g
1. Firefox
2. Deluge
3. Thunderbird
etc.
Seems that there is an alphanumeric sort going on in one of the files that over-rides any "Move Up" or "Move Down" choices that are made in the Menu Editor.
The result of the "Move Up" or "Move Down" appears to be in the Layout section of ~/.config/menus/applications.menu
Perhaps some-one can throw some light on where that sort is to allow the apparent functionality of the changing of order to work as intended.
Possibly this is in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py but is beyond my python skills to diagnose.
In the meantime the above is an effective workaround.
Thanks for the work-around. It would certainly be better if the positions of the menu items would stick to where you put them when you edit the menu.

You can also use letters instead of numbers. In Isadora, I'm finding that if the first letter is lower-case, the menu item will be placed after all Menu items that have a title starting with an upper-case letter.

Myself, I decided to replace the mintMenu with the main GNOME menu, partly because of this issue.

Return to “Software & Applications”