TV OR VIDEO RECORDING

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

TV OR VIDEO RECORDING

Postby frank392 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:09 pm

HI I was wondering if there is a any software to capture video or TV from a ATI Tv wonder video card that works with mint?
if you know anything, or how to do it please let me know.
Thank you very much.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby nick on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi Frank
I use Kaffiene to capture tv, "Install Kaffeine, if not already installed
and dvb-utils, open Kaffeine, choose DVB/Source
Auto, if not supported, turn over rollover bar and
choose you transmitter,"

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1951
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby telic on Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:35 pm

HI I was wondering if there is a any software to capture video or TV from a ATI Tv wonder video card that works with mint?

For using my ATI TV Wonder VE card under Ubuntu (and Bianca) I've installed several programs: kdetv, which has a nice user interface. I like tvtime for its use of xmltv TV listings (e.g. from Zap2It in North America). And I use motv (a.k.a xawtv GUI) for recording TV shows on the fly. For motv I must use gamix to enable and control the TV tuner line-in for listening (after I used amixer to capture the audio Line input for recording).

Neither kdetv nor tvtime can record a TV program, thus I use motv for that purpose, though it's buggy. I once tried mythTV, which is a complete PVR system, but it had poor sound quality and was a resource hog on my 3 year-old PC.

I've also done TV viewing and recording using VLC, but a general purpose media player isn't optimized for easy channel changing and capture.

All of these are available via Synaptic download and install. I had to create/tweak the configuration file for each application. The software documentation is rather sketchy and scattered around the Web, but you might find ready-made config files for your locale.

Having a reliable TV application is one reason why Windows shares my Linux desktop. Whenever I need no-nonsense recording, I use ATI Multimedia Center or WinDVR software.

-----
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby frank392 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi thank you very much you two, for your for your Ideas.
Telic idea of using motv worked great, I try using Kaffiene, but did not work well.
Finally i'm able to kick window to hell :twisted:
:D I'm FREE !! :D
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Software & Applications