Samba Share

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Samba Share

Postby aharrod on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:06 pm

I am very much a Linux newbie and am in the process of setting up my laptop. I use it to connect via VPN to our corporate network which is a windows server. I would like to configure Samba to enable me to see the share drive on our server after I VPN in. all the insructions I have found deal with sharing from my linux box to a windows box. Could anyone give me any basic help on how to set this up? All I really want to do is be able to map( I am assuming I want to mount them here) a few windows network drives to be able to see our internal files. Can anyone point me towards an idiots guide to doing this? Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

clueless.
aharrod
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Samba Share

Postby DrHu on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:13 am

aharrod wrote: All I really want to do is be able to map( I am assuming I want to mount them here) a few windows network drives to be able to see our internal files.

Because that's how the company's IT admin tells you to connect to a windows share from another client connection
--it might need some investigation..
looks nice but not that simple to setup, needs other software installed..
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/sslbridge ... hares.html
    From project home page:
    SSLBridge is an AJAX and DHTML enhanced web application for viewing and accessing shared files and folders in a network. SSLBridge uses Samba and an SSL connection to create a VPN tunnel into a corporate network. A Samba web client.

Samba tips/setups..
http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=889
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=28696&p=166396&hilit=samba+map#p166396
--that may help..[Altair4 posts..]

Vnc..
http://techvirgin.com/2009/03/how-to-re ... u-desktop/
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby altair4 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:06 am

First, I know nothing about VPN so keep that in mind when reading this.

My wife uses VPN when she works from home and as far as I can tell once the VPN connection is made it's as though she were connected directly to the work network. So in principle it should be the same as if you were trying to access a Windows share in a home network. Samba isn't configured to access remote shares, it's configured to offer shares on the linux box to others.

As for "mapping" you may have a problem there. The linux equivalent to windows' mapping a network drive is to create an entry in /etc/fstab for the remote share. It will mount the remote share automatically when your system boots and that's the problem. Even though the remote server may be up and operational your VPN connection hasn't been made yet so the mount will fail. There is a parameter you can add to the fstab entry - _netdev - that delays mounting the network share until after the boot process brings up the network, but the "network" is already up before you VPN. I need to think about this a little more. Hopefully there are others in this forum that have done this and can help you.

Let's start with basics first though, once you login to Mint and after you VPN can you see the Windows shares by going to Nautilus ( your Home folder on the desktop ) > Network ( under Places )?

EDIT: Alternate method - Bring up nautilus > File > Connect to Server > Service Type: Windows share
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby altair4 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 am

Just checking in on your progress.

If you can connect to the Windows share through nautilus you can then "Bookmark" the connection: Nautilus > Bookmarks > Add Bookmarks. This would be the equivalent of Microsofts' mapping a network drive without the "reconnect at login" option.
It will show up in the left side panel in nautilus as something like this: share_name on server_name.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby aharrod on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:47 am

I establish the VPN connection at which point when I go to Network and click on Windows network I can see our server.

Thanks,

Alex
aharrod
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications