Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Ronny49 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 am

Hello...

I just installed Mint 7 on my Toshiba E105 and was liking it except when I got really tired last night
and simply went to shut the cover on my laptop and go to bed only to awake in the morning to a
SUPER over-heating computer!!

What's the problem with the suspend mode?? The monitor was blank when I opened the cover, but
I hear my fan running on high speed and when I opened the laptop, I felt all the heat come barreling
out!

Now, this is an issue that should have been solved near the beginning of any release of a new OS.
I mean, many people own laptops and this has got to be a big issue.

I did a search here and didn't find a heck of a lot. I didn't know a lot of people were still using those
boat anchors for computers. Most people I know today have all gone to laptops to free them from
the very chains that once harboured them at home, chained to their desk permanently.

Anyway, how does one go about getting this suspend issue resolved?
Ronny49
 

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby lagagnon on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:47 am

Ronny49 wrote:I didn't know a lot of people were still using those
boat anchors for computers. Most people I know today have all gone to laptops to free them from
the very chains that once harboured them at home, chained to their desk permanently.


Sorry cannot help you with the suspend issue, but as a computer technician I must reply to your comments about desktop computers versus laptops. There are good reasons why desktops may make more sense than laptops:

1) desktops are much more upgradeable
2) desktops are much more reliable and last on average three times longer than laptops
3) desktops are cheaper to repair and can be repaired anywhere - laptops must often be sent away for specialist repair
4) desktops are still cheaper than laptops for the equivalent hardware
5) desktops are not prime targets for thieves as laptops are
6) desktops let you go to your local coffee shop to enjoy the company of the opposite sex rather than have your nose buried in a screen playing nerd. :wink:
User avatar
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: an island in the Pacific...

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Ronny49 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Well, with all the reasons you had listed, they have no
effect on me. I enjoy my laptop and the freedom it offers
me! I have NEVER had a laptop ripped off because I am
intelligent enough to make sure I keep it in my presence
at all times.

And as far as cheap goes, that does not matter to me
when there is choice of freedom or PRISON. I choose
FREEDOM!!

Oh and I go to coffee shops to enjoy geting out while
doing my work/research on my laptop. If I am going to
meet the opposite sex, I won't bring my laptop with me
unless it is needed.

Good luck with your boat anchor there buddy! :lol:

But the real message here is I want my laptop to go to
Sleep! Can anyone help?? :?:
Ronny49
 

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby lagagnon on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Ronny49 wrote:But the real message here is I want my laptop to go to
Sleep! Can anyone help?? :?:


I think you need to install the "powersaved" package from the repository (Menu, Package Manager, search powersaved, install, apply).
User avatar
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: an island in the Pacific...

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Ronny49 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:23 pm

If that works, I will show my gratitude to ya!

But thanks for sharing those instructions!
Ronny49
 

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby DrHu on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Ronny49 wrote:Now, this is an issue that should have been solved near the beginning of any release of a new OS. I mean, many people own laptops and this has got to be a big issue.

I did a search here and didn't find a heck of a lot. I didn't know a lot of people were still using those
boat anchors for computers. Most people I know today have all gone to laptops to free them from
the very chains that once harboured them at home, chained to their desk permanently.

Might be, depends on how you use a notebook
--I tend to shut down (off) any computer if I don't intend to use it for awhile

Apart from saving the battery over time, it might also be better for security reasons, if the computer is not active/running when discovered..
User avatar
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6607
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Kaye on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:46 pm

As a side note, your opinion that laptops are better doesn't make them better. All of the points listed above are great points. Desktops still have many, many advantages over laptops. The only advantage of a laptop, actually, is its portability. Other than that it fails in all categories. (This is coming from a full-time laptop user, by the way)
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Image
User avatar
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm
Location: Boston College

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby proxima_centauri on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:52 pm

^^ Don't forget the advantage of a secondary power source!
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3968
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby owend on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:41 pm

I had Ubuntu 9.04 where suspend didn't work: I've now gone to Mint 7 and it worked out-of-the-box.

The fix I used to get suspend to work in 9.04 was:

Open a terminal and enter sudo gedit
in Gedit open /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux
find the line QUIRKS=" "
change it to QUIRKS="--quirk-s3-bios --quirk-s3-mode --quirk-dpms-suspend –-quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore --quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-vga-mode3 –-quirk-vbe-post –-quirk-reset-brightness" (not all may be necessary, but I enabled them all anyway and nothing adverse happened - you can try one at a time, if you wanted to!)
Save and exit.
Set Power Management for lid closed = suspend.

I don't use hibernate, but the same routine in /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux should work
owend
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 am

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby AK Dave on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:45 pm

Ronny49 wrote:Anyway, how does one go about getting this suspend issue resolved?


Suspend works fine, in general, but on some specific hardware there are hangs for a wide variety of reasons.

Most of these reasons boil down to kernel module and/or hardware quirks. My experience is that often it is more the problem of a kernel module not unloading.

The computers that have the biggest problem, in my experience tend to be laptops and older desktops. It pays to deliberately shop for hardware based on linux support and compatability, especially if you're shopping for a laptop.

You should manually verify that suspend does or does not work before just assuming it does. If you haven't manually put the computer into suspend and brought it back, you can't rely on that function. You may have quirks, either a hang on suspend or a hang on resume. You also need to check your power settings to confirm that in fact your computer is actually set to suspend when you close the lid. Finally, you need to understand that laptops are designed to vent heat at least partially through the keyboard. You can create a heat problem with a laptop by running it with the lid closed.

This is an issue that should be solved by the USER as soon as possible after installing a new OS. Take it through its paces, work out the quirks for yourself. Its your computer. Take responsibility for it yourself.
User avatar
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Anchorage, AK USA

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Ronny49 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Kaye wrote:As a side note, your opinion that laptops are better doesn't make them better. All of the points listed above are great points. Desktops still have many, many advantages over laptops. The only advantage of a laptop, actually, is its portability. Other than that it fails in all categories. (This is coming from a full-time laptop user, by the way)



That's fine... all is well with it all... at least we all can log on and do what we need to do. But I own the Toshiba E105-S1402 and it is a very nice laptop
that runs very well and only cost me $649 + tax!! It has a Centrino 2 processor and 4 gigs mem, 320 HDD and a lot of goodies, including a back-lit keyboard which I love!

EDIT: OH... and don't forget one thing... when it thunderstorms outside and the power goes out, you are SAFE!! Also being able to continue your internet fun. And yes... I know you can add a battery back-up to a boat anchor, but who really does? Not many, I know.

Take care man... 8)
Ronny49
 

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Ronny49 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:58 pm

AK Dave wrote:
Ronny49 wrote:Anyway, how does one go about getting this suspend issue resolved?


Suspend works fine, in general, but on some specific hardware there are hangs for a wide variety of reasons.

Most of these reasons boil down to kernel module and/or hardware quirks. My experience is that often it is more the problem of a kernel module not unloading.

The computers that have the biggest problem, in my experience tend to be laptops and older desktops. It pays to deliberately shop for hardware based on linux support and compatability, especially if you're shopping for a laptop.

You should manually verify that suspend does or does not work before just assuming it does. If you haven't manually put the computer into suspend and brought it back, you can't rely on that function. You may have quirks, either a hang on suspend or a hang on resume. You also need to check your power settings to confirm that in fact your computer is actually set to suspend when you close the lid. Finally, you need to understand that laptops are designed to vent heat at least partially through the keyboard. You can create a heat problem with a laptop by running it with the lid closed.

This is an issue that should be solved by the USER as soon as possible after installing a new OS. Take it through its paces, work out the quirks for yourself. Its your computer. Take responsibility for it yourself.


Hey man... thanks for all the info!! But I never thought I would be installing Linux on this laptop when I was purchasing it. It just so happens that I went from XP (which I had very good luck with) to Vista which I call unicorns. It is almost as bad a Windows ME! So, I decided to look at Linux as an alternative. Suse works for me, but I really like MINT the best out of all distro's I have tried. I tried Suse, Mandriva, Xandros (crap), Ubuntu, Fedora (techie-guru OS), PCLinuxOS (shut it down after 15 minutes), Ultimate Edition and now MINT. I LOVE MINT XFCE!! It just needs more of the bugs worked out. But I know it has GREAT potential!!

Oh and I would LOVE to see the XFCE people concentrate more on beautiful graphics! It's a little dull in the looks dept.
Ronny49
 

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby lagagnon on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Ronny49 wrote:It just needs more of the bugs worked out. But I know it has GREAT potential!!

What bugs? Please be more specific. If you have found a proper bug (rather than a user setup problem) then please report it so the developers can make things better.
Oh and I would LOVE to see the XFCE people concentrate more on beautiful graphics! It's a little dull in the looks dept.

As I said in my previous post to you xfce is a lightweight desktop environment so it is not within its mandate to code for eye candy. You can enable compositing in the Setup functions if you wish. You might also want to check out some of the cool themes you can download at:

http://www.xfce-look.org/
User avatar
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: an island in the Pacific...

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Ronny49 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 am

Oh and I would LOVE to see the XFCE people concentrate more on beautiful graphics! It's a little dull in the looks dept.

As I said in my previous post to you xfce is a lightweight desktop environment so it is not within its mandate to code for eye candy. You can enable compositing in the Setup functions if you wish. You might also want to check out some of the cool themes you can download at:

http://www.xfce-look.org/[/quote]

Thanks for that... but they really should call it the Ubuntu Theme Site! 90% of the themes are for Ubuntu. :roll:
Ronny49
 

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby lagagnon on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:46 am

Ronny49 wrote:Thanks for that... but they really should call it the Ubuntu Theme Site! 90% of the themes are for Ubuntu. :roll:


They'll still work just fine...
User avatar
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: an island in the Pacific...

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Kaye on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:20 pm

lagagnon wrote:
Ronny49 wrote:Thanks for that... but they really should call it the Ubuntu Theme Site! 90% of the themes are for Ubuntu. :roll:


They'll still work just fine...


My troll sense is tingling.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Image
User avatar
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm
Location: Boston College

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Ronny49 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:16 pm

lagagnon wrote:
Ronny49 wrote:Thanks for that... but they really should call it the Ubuntu Theme Site! 90% of the themes are for Ubuntu. :roll:


They'll still work just fine...


Yah, but I don't really want the Ubuntu logo on my MINT desktop!
I would want to learn how to change that to a MINT logo.
Ronny49
 

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby lagagnon on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:30 am

Ronny49 wrote:I would want to learn how to change that to a MINT logo.

Then learn how to use The Gimp.
User avatar
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: an island in the Pacific...

Re: Suspend Mode Does NOT Work!

Postby Ronny49 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:20 am

Kaye wrote:
lagagnon wrote:
Ronny49 wrote:Thanks for that... but they really should call it the Ubuntu Theme Site! 90% of the themes are for Ubuntu. :roll:


They'll still work just fine...


My troll sense is tingling.



GOOD FOR YOU IGNORANT ONE!!
Ronny49
 

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: massalim, rudeb and 18 guests