can ps3 see a samba share on mint pc?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

can ps3 see a samba share on mint pc?

Post by leo5111 »

stream videos to ps3 with samba?.ive heard that samba can share my videos in my storage ext3 internal hard-drive not usb or anything if ps3 will see samba shared videos, can someone tell me how you set samba up and select the hard drives. thanks :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: can ps3 see a samba share on mint pc?

Post by DrHu »

leo5111 wrote:stream videos to ps3 with samba?.ive heard that samba can share my videos in my storage ext3 internal hard-drive
The usual suggestion is VLC for streaming video..
In terminal, check
  • apt search vlc
    i vlc - multimedia player and streamer
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... d.id=44882
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/musicvideo ... yback.html
  • Right
    --the first step, as you have determined is sharing/seeing the hard drive from the remote (other) computer/PS3 p
Its a matter of connecting to the computer that contains the hard drive or a device that manages the hard drive, not connecting to a hard drive specifically..
Mint's simple file sharing may work
--just right-click mounted hard drive and share it
http://www.pcmech.com/article/file-shar ... and-samba/
--an howto video of file sharing

If there are difficulties with that, you will have to check samba or giver/taker
--but it may come down to streaming the data to the output device, the PS3 in this case, how you will intend to do that, which application..
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

im not sure which app to use to stream to the ps3 from mint :?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The PS3 is a DLNA device. It will not see normal network shares, but it can see media shared by a DLNA server. There are a few servers available for Linux. I have use FUPPES successfully, but it can be tricky to set up. PS3 Media Server is a very popular one that most people prefer over FUPPES now.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

Lolo Uila wrote:The PS3 is a DLNA device. It will not see normal network shares, but it can see media shared by a DLNA server. There are a few servers available for Linux. I have use FUPPES successfully, but it can be tricky to set up. PS3 Media Server is a very popular one that most people prefer over FUPPES now.
i tried ps3 media server but i dont know how to run the sh :oops: file ive successfully avoided installing anything but debs so far... :lol: , also can the server be set to auto start at bootup? and make a desktop icon? thanks for help :D
Dan Bernet

Post by Dan Bernet »

im not sure which app to use to stream to the ps3 from mint

ps3 controller
ps3 dualshock 3 controller
ps3 wireless controller

Return to “Software & Applications”