Reset while installing updates-now system not boot properly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Reset while installing updates-now system not boot properly

Postby lucho115 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:23 pm

I was installing updates (also a new kernel update) and the power went down, 1 hour later when the power back i turn on the pc and the system didnt boot properly any more. The mensage is the following:

Code: Select all
* Loading Hardware drivers
[color=#FF0000]Mount: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libuuid.so.1: invalid ELF header[/color]
* Loading kernel modules....      (OK)
* Loading manual drivers....      (OK)
* Setting kernel variables (/etc/sysctl.comf)         (OK)
* Setting kernel variables (/etc/sysctl.d/10-console-messages.conf)         (OK)
* Setting kernel variables (/etc/sysctl.d/10-network-security.conf)         (OK)
* Setting kernel variables (/etc/sysctl.d/30-wine.conf)         (OK)
[color=#BF0000]findfs: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libuuid.so.1: invalid ELF header[/color]
*Activating swap......                  ([color=#FF0000]FAIL[/color])
Usage: mountpoint   "-q" "-d" "-x" path
rm: cannot remove '/lib/init/rw/rootdev': Read-Only filesystem
*The device node for the root filesystem is missing or incorrect or there is no entry for the root filesystem  listed in /etc/fstab.
The system is also unable to create a temporary node in /lib/init/rw.
This means you have to fix the problem manually
* A maintenance shell will now be started
Control-D will terminate this shell and restart the system
Give root password for maintenance
(or Control-D to Continue):

So anybosy can helpme? i boot with a livecd and use fsck.ext3 in the sda1(/) and sda2 (/home)partitions buy it dont solve the problem.
Thanks.
Sorry about my english.
bye
lucho115
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Reset while installing updates-now system not boot properly

Postby kwisher on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Give your root password and you will be at a terminal prompt. Then type "apt-get update" then "apt-get upgrade" (no quotes). You may be given instructions to run another command. I have been in this same situation before and followed the instructions give and it fixed the problem. I was not in the middle of a kernel upgrade though so I am not sure about my suggestions. There is one other command you can try if the above does not work:

apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade

Hope this helps.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lucho115 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm

kwisher wrote:Give your root password and you will be at a terminal prompt. Then type "apt-get update" then "apt-get upgrade" (no quotes). You may be given instructions to run another command. I have been in this same situation before and followed the instructions give and it fixed the problem. I was not in the middle of a kernel upgrade though so I am not sure about my suggestions. There is one other command you can try if the above does not work:

apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade

Hope this helps.

OK, i cant use dpkg because the file system is in read only mode, but i boot with a live cd of ubuntu and enter in rescue mode, mount like / my partition, and get a console, in this mode i could use dpkg and it solve (i guess) all the packages problem, then use apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, all ok. But when boot normaly i get the same errors, so i think in change the uuid by the /dev/sdx in /etc/fstab, so boot again with rescue mode live cd and change /etc/fstab, then boot and pass a lo of stages but finally get the same error (error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libuuid.so.1: invalid ELF and rm: cannot remove '/lib/init/rw/rootdev': Read-Only filesystem) so the file system is in Read Only mode and i cant get GDM.
So maybe is a problem with the "libuuid1" package, but i dont know how to reinstall the package with apt-get in console, i read the man but there is no option for reinstall, but i know thats posible because i did it in the past with Synaptic.
So can anybody help me?
thaks and sorry about my english
lucho115
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kwisher on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:53 pm

At this point I cannot offer any suggestions but to reinstall Mint. I am sure someone here can help you with this problem but it really would be much faster to reinstall.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lucho115 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:16 pm

kwisher wrote:At this point I cannot offer any suggestions but to reinstall Mint. I am sure someone here can help you with this problem but it really would be much faster to reinstall.

Yes i agree with you, but i want to solve it, just to learn, and in other hand ubuntu (or mint) need rigth now an rescue mode more easy to solve common problems, like filesystem corruption, etc..
thanks
lucho115
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:22 pm

You don't say whether it is 32bit or 64bit, I am assuming 32bit, but it is the same issue for a library missing; find the library, and replace the bad one, see if you get a boot and a good fs (file system) check/scan..

Raising the skinny elephant is utterly boring.
http://www.junauza.com/2009/01/linux-ke ... afely.html
http://www.geekology.co.za/blog/2009/06 ... ly-boring/

Try
--the sysreq key if not marked is the Print Screen key
    Alt+SysRq+r r - put keyboard in raw mode
    Alt+SysRq+s s - sync the disk
    Alt+SysRq+e e - terminate all processes
    Alt+SysRq+i i - kill all processes
    Alt+SysRq+u u - remount all filesystems read only
    Alt+SysRq+b b - reboot the system

The only other thing you can try is to locate the lib file (/lib/libuuid.so.1 ) that is corrupted, elsewhere in the system, and replace it, perhaps you could get it from the live CD..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Software & Applications