Recovering files from a deleted partition

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Recovering files from a deleted partition

Postby carlm on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:33 pm

I accidentally ****** up my linux system by deleting some system files. I couldnt boot the system and therefore i had to reinstall linux mint. I formatted my old partition with a new install since i checked google and found some interesting recovery programs so I thought what the heck of course i can recover my files later. Now I cant find any program that I get to work so i wonder if anyone knows any good undelete program that works on linux mint which can recover files from a formatted partition?

I used default settings for file system when i installed so i think it is a ext3 file system.

Thank you in advance for any good tips.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
carlm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Recovering files from a deleted partition

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

errrmmm, yeah, good luck with that. Seriously, unless I've misunderstood, you messed up your install partition, so re-formatted it (and re-installed) and *now* you want to get your old files back? If so, those files are long gone. I recommend a nice backup of any important files you have left, and setup a separate data partition (search the forums for how) so that if this happens again, you can safely reinstall on the install partition, without damaging your data on the other partition.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby carlm on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Ive had a separate physical data hard drive with most of my files so it was just the new ones that got deleted. But when i was on windoze i remember being able to use an undelete program for recovering files from a reformatted partition so i was thinking that there might be any similar program for linux.

Thank you for your answer. Anyone else out there with any tips?
carlm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm

carlm wrote:
... on windoze i remember being able to use an undelete program for recovering files from a reformatted partition...

On an existing partition where you have deleted the file, yes. On a reformatted partition, probably, with the right software. On a reformatted partition that you have overwritten with a new install, not likely at all. This would require special equipment and software capable of discerning signal strength levels. This falls into the category of forensics.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby tinca on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm

carlm

your language is appalling.

I am surprised that anybody bothered to answer you.

best regards Keith
Case Corsair Graphite 600T White | Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK | CPU Core i7 4790K | PSU Corsair 1000w RM Fully Modular | Graphic Card Radeon R7 250 | Cooler Corsair H100i Extreme | Ram Corsair 2 x 8 gb Vengeance Pro |
tinca
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Software & Applications