It may be too late to help in2media, but hopefully this post will be useful to other users. I was able to successfully install Bitdefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices on my i586 Mint 8 Machine by following these steps:
1. Request a free license from http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-80-en--BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-for-Unices.html
(You can download directly from http://download.bitdefender.com/SMB/Workstation_Security_and_Management/BitDefender_Antivirus_Scanner_for_Unices/Unix/Current/EN_FR_BR_RO/Linux/
without registering, but the trial will end in 30 days. You have to register to get a longer time (around 200 days, I believe).)
2. Download 'BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run' and 'BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run.md5' from the link in the email BitDefender sends you.
3. Open the download folder in a terminal by right-clicking in Nautilus (the file explorer) and selecting 'Open in Terminal'.
- Code: Select all
md5sum -c BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run.md5
to check your download's integrity. (It should say 'OK', otherwise your download may be corrupted and you should download it again.)
- Code: Select all
chmod +x BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run
to make the .deb.run file executable. Then close the terminal.
6. Right-click the download folder in Nautilus and choose 'Open as root'. (Otherwise you will get the effect in2media described: the installer will appear to run fine but will stop suddenly without installing after you type 'accept' and press enter.)
7. In the new window (it should have a red background, at least it does on my machine), double-click on the 'BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run' file and choose 'Run in Terminal'.
8. Keep pressing space until you see the line asking you to type accept. Type 'accept' (without the quotes) and press enter.
9. Watch as the installer installs BitDefender. The installer should place a link to the gui in your menu. Open it and enter your license key (if you requested one).