BleachBit

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: BleachBit

Post by lagagnon »

I don't see why not. But many of those tools are available within the applications themselves and shred is available from the command line so I question the need for it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I use it all the time, to clear out history files, thumbnails (pictures looked at or images or avatars on forums..)
--even though I also have Firefox>Edit>Preferences>Privacy...
[x]Always clear my private data when I close Firefox
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

Have a look at the options of all listed programms in bleachbit (especially the FF stuff).
I'm running bleachbit once or twice a month and i never had any problems.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

monkeeboy wrote:I can't run BleachBit as root. I click on the menu icon and nothing happens. I'm using Linux Mint 7 Gloria. I didn't have this problem with Felicia. Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?
Yes, you're doing something wrong. You cannot run a GUI as root from a menu entry unless you give yourself permissions first. Edit the menu entry (right click on Menu botton, Edit menu) and change the command entry for the BleachBit entry to : "gksu bleachbit"
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

I am using Bleachbit too on Mint 7 (64 bits). A little bit of a warning:

- For beginners especially...don't use Bleachbit under 'gksudo' or even 'sudo'. Unless you are an experienced user and know exactly what you do. You could destroy your installation quite easily. Using Bleachbit as a normal user will clean up only your Home-map....and that's all what is actually needed.
- Untick 'places' for your webbrowser...otherwise all your favorite webpages will be cleaned too.

When using as a normal user you can tick everything (except 'places') it can do no harm. Under 'gksudo' or 'sudo' please be a LOT more carefull. Altogether a very good piece of software and I hope it will be in the next Mint 8 release as a default program!
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)

Return to “Software & Applications”