(solved) Email problems with Thunderbird. (on PC)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mipcar

(solved) Email problems with Thunderbird. (on PC)

Post by mipcar »

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email. Having it installed both on my Minty machine and my M/S pc.

The problem is that a given email (same content, same attachments) will quite happily send via Thunderbird on my minty machine but refuses to send the attachments when I try it on the M/S pc. I don't understand this, I am using an identical email program, same modem, same server, everything the same but the pc refuses to send the attachments. It gives me a message to the effect that SMTP server not responding.

Apart from the obvious (microsoft) any thoughts as to why one machine/email is working as it should and the other not?

I cannot find any differences in the settings between the email program on one machine and on the other.

The PC will send the main body of the email fine but not the attachments.

Any ideas?

Mychael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Enail problems with Thunderbird. (on PC)

Post by lagagnon »

Your SMTP settings must be incorrect - I cannot think of any other reason for that error.
mipcar

Post by mipcar »

I'll recheck again. I'll get both machines up and get someone on one whilst I am on the other. We will read back settings to each other. It's the only thing I have not tried.

Mychael
mipcar

Post by mipcar »

Settings/options are identical on both machines. Both using the same build version of Thunderbird.
I've even disabled the virus checking of outgoing emails in my virus checker program. Still no solution to the error.

PC has problems Minty machine works fine.

Mychael
mipcar

Post by mipcar »

marksteven wrote:Hi,
Please tell me which protocol you are using to send your E-mail?And also tell me how to send mail?
Thanks for sharing this information.

Sorry but I don't really understand your question. Are you using Thunderbird? On what operating system.?
Are you trying to get Thunderbird set up on your machine?

Better if you put your query in it's own posting as I'm still trying to get answers to my problem.

Mychael
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

mipcar wrote:Settings/options are identical on both machines. Both using the same build version of Thunderbird.
I've even disabled the virus checking of outgoing emails in my virus checker program. Still no solution to the error.

PC has problems Minty machine works fine.

Mychael
It's a long shot but just to rule it out, is it possible to change the smtp server and test that with Thunderbird on Windows? Just to rule out some weird bug in the server. A free gmail account provides access to smtp.google.com.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

mipcar

Post by mipcar »

DrHu wrote:Firewall in windows is blocking smtp ?
http://support.resortdata.com/Customers ... in0010.htm
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/3561 ... error.html
--smtp configuration error
I'm not on a workstation, just home pc.

In fact it's become even weirder, a friend I tried sending the same email to (as a test), actually received the full mail with the attachments even though I got the same error message on my machine and the mail I tried to send does not appear in the "Sent" folder.

I could try disabling the firewall my firewall very briefly just to see what happens then.

Mychael
mipcar

Re: (solved) Email problems with Thunderbird. (on PC)

Post by mipcar »

It was suggested to me to try manually compacting the folders in Thunderbird. I have it set to automatically do it anyway but gave it a try.
It completed operation very quickly so I'm assuming not much needed compacting however after doing it manually the full email with attachments sent without errors and was received normally.

Wondering now if the automatic compacting is not doing it's job or if I should just manually do it once a week to be sure. That's of course assuming it was the cure of the problem and not just a fluke. Have to wait and see.

Mychael

Return to “Software & Applications”