Segmentation faults - can't run Firefox, Totem, Amarok

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Segmentation faults - can't run Firefox, Totem, Amarok

Postby timvb on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:10 am

As of a week or so ago, when Firefox starts, it crashes. Same goes with Totem (Movie Player) and Amarok (Actually, Totem hasn't worked for ages). With Firefox and Totem, running in terminal gives a 'Segmentation Fault'. With Amarok, I get a signal 11 (SIGSEGV) fault which I understand is the same (maybe!).

When I run Firefox as root ("sudo firefox") then it works. Same with Totem. But that's quite annoying on all sorts of levels! I've tried completely removing firefox, deleting .mozilla from home directory, then reinstalling. Same problem.

When I launch Amarok, that crashes immediately with a signal 11 (SIGSEGV) fault. When I run as root (via terminal) it does start, with various error messages on display.

This is all quite recent, maybe a week or so ago. I have all the updates (levels 1-3) from mintUpdate, and I recently marked all upgrades in Synaptic to give that a try (it upgraded the kernel) but again this hasn't solved anything.

This is serious - some help would be appreciated! It is possible some files somewhere have the wrong permissions?

EDIT: Anyone? At the very least, it would be helpful to know whether this stands a realistic likelihood of being fixed, or whether a fresh install might work best!

(Mint 7, Gnome)

P.S. This is a repeat of viewtopic.php?f=47&t=30886 but with a Subject name that is a) more accurate, and b) hopefully more likely to get some advice!
timvb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Segmentation faults - can't run Firefox, Totem, Amarok

Postby Husse on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:27 pm

First off - please never ever run Firefox as root! (more than a few seconds to check if it works, but preferably not that either)
This is what you have in Windows with all the risks ....
The same goes for any application connected to the internet but a browser is the most dangerous
Check that you are the owner and group of your home folder - you could right click > Properties > Apply Permissions to enclosed files
If you get an error that you do not have the privileges to do so that could be the problem (a possible lost and found folder excluded)
If there is no error home is owned by you
With the description of your problems you give I would try a fresh install unless the above solves it
And please do not add to an existing topic - the risk is that no one reads that topic - an unanswered will be read, I read all unanswered posts I find (if in a language I understand)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Segmentation faults - can't run Firefox, Totem, Amarok

Postby timvb on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:29 am

Thanks for the advice Husse, and apologies for the breach of etiquette. I tried the 'Apply Permissions to enclosed files' thing but it reported no errors, so this evening I'll do a fresh install. Which, given how fabulous LinuxMint is, is no real problem!

Cheers,
Tim.
timvb
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications