Lost my navigation buttons in Nautilus. [RESOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Lost my navigation buttons in Nautilus. [RESOLVED]

Postby optimize me on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:00 pm

I found somewhere in the forum where someone mentioned a patch for dual-paned Nautilus. His post linked to a site here, which seemed to use as a source an entirely different how-to.

Rather than using the .deb files, I added their repos to sources.list and installed that way. Quickly bored with the dual-paned file browser, I removed the repos and tried to install the default nautilus back. Everything seemed to work fine, except on my next reboot, my Nautilus interface had changed:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (61.86 KiB) Viewed 411 times

I'm missing the up, stop, reload and other buttons. As you can see, all I have is back and forward.

Checking which packages I have with Nautilus in the name turns out the following list:
Code: Select all
$ dpkg -l | grep nautilus
ii  libnautilus-burn4                          2.25.3-0ubuntu1                                Nautilus Burn Library - runtime version
ii  libnautilus-extension-dev                  1:2.26.2-0ubuntu2                              libraries for nautilus components - developm
ii  libnautilus-extension1                     1:2.26.2-0ubuntu2                              libraries for nautilus components - runtime
ii  nautilus                                   1:2.26.2-0ubuntu2                              file manager and graphical shell for GNOME
ii  nautilus-actions                           1.4.1+svn521-0ubuntu2                          nautilus extension to configure programs to
ii  nautilus-cd-burner                         2.25.3-0ubuntu1                                CD Burning front-end for Nautilus
ii  nautilus-data                              1:2.26.2-0ubuntu3~ppa2                         data files for nautilus
ii  nautilus-dbg                               1:2.26.2-0ubuntu2                              file manager and graphical shell for GNOME -
ii  nautilus-gksu                              2.0.2-1ubuntu2                                 privilege granting extension for nautilus us
ii  nautilus-image-converter                   0.3.0-0ubuntu2                                 nautilus extension to mass resize or rotate
ii  nautilus-open-terminal                     0.9-3ubuntu1                                   nautilus plugin for opening terminals in arb
ii  nautilus-script-audio-convert              0.3.1.1-0ubuntu4                               A nautilus audio converter script
ii  nautilus-script-debug                      0.9.2-0ubuntu3                                 Simple nautilus debugging script
ii  nautilus-script-manager                    0.0.5-0ubuntu5                                 A simple management tool for nautilus script
ii  nautilus-share                             0.7.2-4ubuntu1                                 Nautilus extension to share folder using Sam
ii  nautilus-wallpaper                         0.1-0ubuntu3                                   Nautilus extension. Add a "set as wallpaper"

All the versions seem right. The patched software from the PPA at those sites had "hb8" and some other junk in the version numbers, so that's all gone.

I've tried deleting the .nautilus folder in my home, but it didn't make a difference. I just saw that if I open a root Nautilus window, the problem is there, too - so it's a system-wide effect. All the options under the View menu are enabled.

Am I missing a package that provides those buttons?

I couldn't find anything in Google, so if someone wants to school me, here's your chance. :oops:

EDIT: I should also note that if I try to re-install the dual-pane patch (either from the repo or from the .debs), it no longer works - I just get Nautilus with no dual-view option.
Last edited by optimize me on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lost my navigation buttons in Nautilus.

Postby Husse on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Just a shot in the dark (and your Nautilus is dark :)) - this could be something with the theme, but theme problems in this area are usually that the three buttons in the upper right corner disappears
Apart from that I'm completely baffled....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby DrHu on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:50 pm

I might try a re-install of
    ii libnautilus-extension-dev 1:2.26.2-0ubuntu2 libraries for nautilus components - developm
Since additional packages often use the *.dev versions for their changes..

And reverse the the dual-pane patch from ppa repository: install
un-install nautilus and reinstall it, or in one step (reinstall with synaptic)

I don't use all the settings for nautilus you do, and have mainly a basic setup..
Code: Select all
i   libnautilus-burn4               - Nautilus Burn Library - runtime version
i   libnautilus-extension1          - libraries for nautilus components - runtim
i   nautilus                        - file manager and graphical shell for GNOME
i   nautilus-actions                - nautilus extension to configure programs t
i   nautilus-data                   - data files for nautilus
i   nautilus-open-terminal          - nautilus plugin for opening terminals in a
i   nautilus-sendto                 - integrates Evolution and Pidgin into the N
i   nautilus-share                  - Nautilus extension to share folder using S
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby optimize me on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:21 am

I'm not sure what I did that worked, but I got them back. I did as Husse suggested and changed icon themes, but that didn't seem to work. Then, as DrHu said - and for about the fourth or fifth time - I did a total purge and re-install of everything Nautilus related. That didn't seem to work, either, but when I restarted X using CTRL-ALT-Backspace for something totally unrelated, the buttons were back the next time I opened Nautilus.

Plus - and this is the kicker - now the dual-pane Nautilus patch is working, even though the repos for it are commented out in my sources.list file.
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (180.28 KiB) Viewed 376 times

Ah, Linux - will your wonders never cease to amaze me?
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications