(Solved) Musescore latest version not available in repos

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

(Solved) Musescore latest version not available in repos

Postby Liszt on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:55 am

Hi,

I am currently using a music score writing program called Musescore and it works well except for a bug which has been fixed according to their website in the latest stable release (0.9.5). Unfortunately the newest version in the repos is 0.9.4 which is what I have.

On their web page there is a link to download directly from your browser. I am using Firefox 3.0.14. When I click on the thing to download from the browser I get an error 'Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program.'

Does anyone know how I can get the latest stable release? At first when I looked at using this program I thought it wouldn't suit me due to the lack of some features but after using it for a while have found its excellent functionality in other areas outweighs what it lacks, PLUS some of the things I would like it to have seem to have been added in the latest stable version, so I would love to have that version!

Thanks.
Last edited by Liszt on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liszt
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:34 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Musescore latest stable version 0.9.5 not available in repos

Postby optimize me on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:11 am

Liszt wrote:Hi,

I am currently using a music score writing program called Musescore and it works well except for a bug which has been fixed according to their website in the latest stable release (0.9.5). Unfortunately the newest version in the repos is 0.9.4 which is what I have.

Why are applications not the latest version?
Liszt wrote:On their web page there is a link to download directly from your browser. I am using Firefox 3.0.14. When I click on the thing to download from the browser I get an error 'Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program.'

Code: Select all
sudo apt install apturl

Liszt wrote:Does anyone know how I can get the latest stable release? At first when I looked at using this program I thought it wouldn't suit me due to the lack of some features but after using it for a while have found its excellent functionality in other areas outweighs what it lacks, PLUS some of the things I would like it to have seem to have been added in the latest stable version, so I would love to have that version!

Thanks.

There's a link right on the official Musescore download page that points to the official PPA for pre-release versions. Add their repo and you can stay current with updates. Keep in mind that pre-release - or beta - software is sometimes unstable and has bugs that final releases don't usually have. When you install a newer version than what's available in official Ubuntu or Mint repos, you take on certain risks and should be prepared to deal with any problems that may arise in the future.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
User avatar
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:25 pm


Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mark Phelps, vortex59 and 22 guests