Tomboy Notes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

Tomboy Notes

Post by fwc »

Hey, I have been using Mint 7 for a while but I think some of the software is starting to get buggy. I use to have Tomboy Notes on my taskbar but for some reason it disappeared a few weeks ago and won't run from Gnome Do. This isn't really a problem as I don't use the notes much but whenever I shutdown it pops up a notice that it can't close Tomboy Notes so I have to confirm logout anyway. I thought that I could turn it off in the startup software but it isn't listed there. Can anyone give me an idea of either how to fix the program or turn it off completely. Thanks very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Tomboy Notes

Post by lagagnon »

You must have a zombie or running background process of TomBoy. Try this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

killall `pidof tomboy`
That should kill any tomboy processes. Then open tomboy from the menu, reset its preferences if necessary, shut it down, close out any tomboy applet that remain on the bottom right of the panel and reboot. You should then be ok.

To re-add the tomboy applet to the panel right click on any free space of the panel and choose "Add Application Launcher"....
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

If a program won't launch from the menu, try starting it from a terminal window. That way if something goes wrong you'll have the terminal output that will give you clues what the problem is. For Tomboy just run

Code: Select all

tomboy
fwc

Post by fwc »

Thanks for the help guys. I did what you said and started Tomboy in the terminal and I got two things. Firstly, a long strange XML string kept repeating in the terminal for a minute until it stopped with some repeating hex number. Then the error that popped up in the GUI in bold letters read
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:TomboyApplet". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
with Delete and Don't Delete as the two button options.
dequire

Post by dequire »

I had the same error after MintUpdate did it's thing on a new install. Weird thing is, I said not to un-install it. Instead I went to MintInstall and selected Tomboy Notes. When I hit apply, it said "Do you want to install this upgrade. I'm positive it said upgrade or update, in any event. So I let it and the problem went away. Odd.
fwc

Post by fwc »

dequire wrote:I had the same error after MintUpdate did it's thing on a new install. Weird thing is, I said not to un-install it. Instead I went to MintInstall and selected Tomboy Notes. When I hit apply, it said "Do you want to install this upgrade. I'm positive it said upgrade or update, in any event. So I let it and the problem went away. Odd.
Thanks for the tip but are you sure it wasn't Synaptic? I went to MintInstall and Tomboy Notes wasn't listed.
dequire

Post by dequire »

Could have been. Installing OS's in the wee hours of the morning is not always a good thing.

Return to “Software & Applications”