Rosetta Stone on Mint 4.0

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lance.house

Rosetta Stone on Mint 4.0

Post by lance.house »

Hi everyone,

I've has a bit of a search, but really, I think I need to ask for help on this one.

I installed Linux mint4.0 on a friends computer for him a year or so ago, and he wants to know if it is possible to install his copy of Rosetta stone (3.2.11a) I have only just come back to Linux myself after quite a hiatus and he can use it well but has no real experience of fiddling around under the hood. I believe is fairly well just installed from the liveCD with (I recall) only the addition of some video tools (maybe Kino or the like, VLC) and nothing much else. He really only uses it to play music and watch DVDs.

According to WineHQ, Rosetta Stone 3.2 is platinum ie should work fine.
Maybe Virtualbox also will work?
But we have some other problems here....

Namely, My firend has no internet connection, and I live 3000km away for the next 4 months. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to download and burn a cd of everything he is likely to need to get Wine running successfully, then post it to him and have him install Wine via MintInstall, from where he could install Rosetta Stone.

Is this a completely ridicolous thing to be even thinking about (as I believe it might be) or is it actually an acheivable solution?

thanks heaps,

Lance

I can get system details from him, but nothing is going to happen too quickly here...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Rosetta Stone on Mint 4.0

Post by emorrp1 »

Mint 4 Daryna is no longer supported, so you can't download the packages he needs anyway. Even if you could, you'd need to be using the same version as him, then you could go to synaptic package manager, mark the packages you want, go to File > generate package download script, run it, then transfer the downloaded packages to his machine and go to File > Add downloaded packages, then install it.
markcynt

Re: Rosetta Stone on Mint 4.0

Post by markcynt »

Maybe you could set it up in Gloria, then burn a remastered disk to send him.

http://www.geekconnection.org/remasters ... stool.html

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ys#p156356

Return to “Software & Applications”