Users and Groups GUI not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Users and Groups GUI not working

Post by Lantesh »

This is an interesting issue that I noticed on my system today. When launching the "Users and Groups" GUI from the administration menu I get this (see attached image) unsupported platform message. As you can see I have the option to pick a distrubution from the resulting list, but neither Ubuntu 9.04 or Mint 7 is on the list. What do you guys make of this? Has anyone else come across this issue?

I should mention I am running Gloria x64 with kernel 2.6.31-11, and quite a few PPAs enabled. So I'm curious if this is something other x64 users have come across, or if it's due to either my kernel, or one of the PPAs I enabled. I have no idea when this happened as this is the first time I tried to open "Users and Group" since I installed Gloria x64. It's not a big deal if I can't fix it since I simply changed my password today using the CLI, but it would be nice to fix it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: Users and Groups GUI not working

Post by rich_roast »

Can't replicate this on 64 bit with no PPAs in repos, so it might be the PPAs.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I agree that it's probably due to one of the PPAs I'm using. Something must have updated to an incompatible version. I suppose that's the chance one takes when messing around. So far with all the upgrades I've done in Gloria x64 this seems to be the only issue I've found. I guess I'll just have to live with it until Mint 8. No big deal. Thanks for the reply.
Husse

Post by Husse »

That is not the "Users and Groups" GUI by far....
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

This is interesting. Take a look at my terminal output.

Code: Select all

lantesh64@lantesh64-desktop ~ $ users-admin

(users-admin:3344): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(users-admin:3344): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

Husse

Post by Husse »

GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
This has to do with the looks of things not with which app you see, rather how you see it
I have no idea what app you have posted but this is what the Users and Groups GUI looks like
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Husse, thanks for the reply, and I do appreciate you posting the graphic. However I do know what the users and groups GUI is and how it looks. The issue is that the graphic I posted is what I see when launching the users and groups GUI whether I launch it from the menu or from the terminal. This is of my own doing I am sure, as I have been messing around with several PPAs. My best guess is some packages were upgraded, and the unintended result is that I broke users and groups. I'm guessing the fix would be to identify the packages involved, uninstall them, disable the PPAs, reinstall and pin the packages before re-enabling the PPAs again.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Lantesh wrote:My best guess is some packages were upgraded, and the unintended result is that I broke users and groups. I'm guessing the fix would be to identify the packages involved, uninstall them, disable the PPAs, reinstall and pin the packages before re-enabling the PPAs again.
Except I don't see why you have multiple distributions listed for users and groups, if you boot up one installation/partition and are not remotely mounting/sharing data with a whole collection of other linux distributions ?

Are you sure that is best. Try this: comment out those ppa's

Toss in a reboot at any time to get a fresh start of Linux..
Then in terminal
  • sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
--see what is getting changed
--maybe collect installed applications data first
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-get ... store.html
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Just to see what would happen I picked the latest Ubuntu from the list, which was Hardy Heron, and now it's like it was never broken. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.

Return to “Software & Applications”