Firefox freezes randomly on YouTube.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Firefox freezes randomly on YouTube.

Postby crusti on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi folks, just wondering about this issue, and hoping to gain some insight.

Both in Bianca and Cassandra Firefox will freeze randomly while navigating through YouTube and moving away from a page with embedded video. (I think it only affects pages that have embedded video, I have to pay better attention to it.)

Any idea what's so special about embedded video and why it'd freeze up? I haven't found any prior posts on this here.

Cheers,
crusti

Cassandra 3.0, Firefox 2.0.0.4
crusti
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox freezes randomly on YouTube.

Postby scorp123 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:29 pm

crusti wrote: Both in Bianca and Cassandra Firefox will freeze randomly while navigating through YouTube
Could be that you still use an old version of the Flash plugin? I had that too. Upgrading to a newer version definitely helps. Can you check what the status of the flashplugin-nonfree package is on your system? e.g. via Synaptic

Other than that I suggest not to open too many windows and browser instances at once when surfing around on YouTube ... the combination of too many open Firefox windows + YouTube seems to increase the likelihood of the freeze happening.

BTW, Did you try Opera ... I hate to recommend closed source software, but Opera seems to handle YouTube better than Firefox does.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Current version of flashplugin-nonfree

Postby crusti on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi scorp123,

The current version of flashplugin-nonfree is 9.0.31.0.2ubuntu1, which appears to be the latest. I do tend to have several tabs open on FireFox sometimes.

I'll have a look at opera and see how that goes. Thanks for the ideas!

crusti
crusti
Level 1
Level 1

So I tried Opera...probably going back to DirePox.

Postby crusti on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm

I tried Opera, and it has a few things I really like about it. It has a 'duplicate' feature on the tabs, so you can open a tab that's a copy of another tab. I like that. (I'm checking out a FireFox addon that may do this too.) It also has widgets which are pretty nice but Firefox has a few useful things too, just not the same things.

Overall with all the tweaking I tried to do with Opera, it still had an unnerving tendency to stop flash movies from playing if I switched tabs, and having more than three tabs open was asking for trouble if a movie was playing on one of them. It crashed a lot due to maxing out my 1.8 GHz processor. On the bright side, when I had to force-quit, it would not clear the cache like FireFox does.

I'm going to see if there is anything I can do with FireFox to keep it from crashing...Even if I can't, I may just be stuck using FireFox if there is no faster and more stable alternative. Opera would probably be wonderful for someone who is slow and methodical in their browser use, but for my frenetic jumping about it has frequent heart attacks.

If I find anything else, I'll write it here.

crusti
crusti
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rfruth on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:05 pm

I get this too (stock Mint 3.0, Gnome) on another box of mine this NEVER occurs (stock Ubuntu 7.04, Gnome) but can't get Realplayer10 configured correctly on Ubuntu (works fine with Mint) so its 6 of 1 half dozen of the other ?
rfruth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby speaker219 on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:52 pm

Yeah, me too, also it is posted alot at the Ubuntu Forums.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/98688
speaker219
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications