Download Accelerator

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Download Accelerator

Postby m0ej0e on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 am

Hello and thank you for your time!

I have been running Linux for a few months now, and I am currently wondering if there is an open source download accelerator such as "Orbit" for Windows.
I have read through several posts and was unable to find one stating a substitute. Any help out be great!

Thanks again,
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Download Accelerator

Postby DrHu on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:44 am

Any caching proxy will work, the best known one is probably squid

Tweaking the http pipelining for browsers or increasing the # of connections made per http request all tend to both speed up your browser response and overload the Internet with redundant traffic..

Like Tor, which as a concept opens multiple connections beyond the normal 4 or so that a default web browser setup would use, you will see the result if a Tor user is on the same connection as you are using, they will eat the whole bandwidth available and slow down all your data throughput..

Download accelerators..Linux ... ccelerator ... tools.html ... linux.html ... -linux.htm
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Level 17
Level 17

Postby rockyjones on Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:56 pm

Like you, I enjoyed Orbit when running Windows. I looked around and couldn't find much for Linux that seemed to mimic Orbit until I tried the combination of "DownThemAll" along with "Linkification" plugins for Firefox. This comes as close to Orbit as I could get. The combo works fairly well for me.

Level 1
Level 1

Postby David Hunter on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:44 pm

youtubedl (package manager it) is a good downloader of embedded videos - not just youtube ones.
Downloader for X is a good download manager/accelerator as well.

I find that I am no longer seeking Orbit as youtubedl and Downloader for X do pretty much what Orbit does.
Thanks beyecixramd!

Husse wrote:Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)
David Hunter
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rekik on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:33 am

Try multiget
One of the best Download manager in linux IMHO
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications