Photoshop 7 (wine) wacom problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Photoshop 7 (wine) wacom problem

Postby smidget on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:59 pm

I recently installed Mint and immediately fell in love with it.

I've managed to install Photoshop 7 under wine. It works great except my wacom stylus will only allow me to erase. No matter which tool is selected, it's always reverting back to eraser (it requires me to press the top button to actually erase as well).

All is well with the wacom in gimp, so the xorg.conf file seems to be correct.

It's a serial Intuos 6x8 if that matters.

Any ideas? Thanks.
smidget
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:06 pm

WINE has no knowledge of the *real* hardware connected to your Linux system, e.g. it sees whatever pointing device you have as simple PS/2 mouse. You might have more success using your tablet under VMware or VirtualBox, as those packages simulate an entire PC (including chipset, BIOS, RAM, disks, floppies, and USB ports). Both packages are able to handle USB devices that you dedicate to them (= you allow the virtual OS exclusive control over the USB device you specify). Therefore if your tablet is a USB device you could assign it to the virtual OS and then use the real Windows device drivers to make full use of the tablet.

But running PhotoShop under VMware or VirtualBox is going to be horribly slow.

It would be better if you dropped PhotoShop altogether and used GIMP (or anything else that is native to Linux) instead. Or you don't switch to Linux and go back to Windows. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby smidget on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks much for the info. :)

Switching back to M$ is so not gonna happen. I'm trying my best to get away from it. Heh.

Anyway, mint is great. I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks again.
smidget
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications