XORG starts eating up cycles

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

XORG starts eating up cycles

Postby fuminori on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:04 pm

After using Mint 7 main problem free for about a month my system has started slowing down with mouse lagging and media skipping after running for 5 hours or so and gets continually worse. Htop tells me the worst offender is Xorg which runs at under 1% for the first hour or so then gradually accumulates share of the CPU.
At first I had thought this was due to switching to Openbox but the problem is the same in Gnome now, another difference is that I swapped out network manager for wicd which probably has nothing to do with it.
Had been running Jaunty fine for months beforehand so I doubt it's hardware specific.

Possibly relevant:
Kernel 2.6.28-15-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Main Edition
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5750 (SMP) clocked at 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.0 Res 1280x800@60.0hz
Disks: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (30.1% used)
Info: Processes 164 Uptime 4:14 Memory 806.1/2986.1MB
fuminori
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: XORG starts eating up cycles

Postby optimize me on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice for your specific problem as of right now.

I have similar hardware and the same Xorg version as you (Intel integrated graphics fix?) and I do have a problem with X taking off at seemingly random times and eating a ton of processor power. I did happen to notice, however, that when it's happening, something is triggering a massive write to my swap partition (I have a thread here that I started concerning that). The hard-disk activity light turns on and doesn't turn off; the partition fills to the brim with data and X keeps writing away. The only way to stop the process is for me to kill and restart X with the ctrl-alt-backspace key combo.

Next time it happens, if you would, try and take a look at your swap usage. If you can drop to a terminal and issue the 'free -m' command, you could see your swap usage and tell if it's the same thing or not.

It's not a problem I've encountered in three years of using Linux. The only thing that strikes me as odd is the fact we have similar hardware and are using the same X version. It could be a bug, but seeing as Jaunty (Gloria) is due to be replaced in the coming weeks, I doubt we'll ever see a fix issued for it.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Re: XORG starts eating up cycles

Postby fuminori on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:11 am

Yeah, so it's happening again, after 4 days of uptime. Swap usage is at 0%, Memory at 21%, CPU load is 50% with both cores roughly even. The thing is Xorg isn't even taking up a large percentage and is only just above stuff like firefox and htop, It's just that I notice it started cropping up over time after this started happening. I'm totally mystified as to what is going on.
fuminori
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications