Facebook - "Uploading photo" - forever

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enigma

Facebook - "Uploading photo" - forever

Post by enigma »

Hello . . .

I'm new at this facebook stuff and I need help

My wife signed onto the website and she tried to upload a personal profile photo and failed. I tried on my computer and failed. I tried on my netbook and failed.

My wife is using Kubuntu 5.04 LTS. I am using MInt 5 LTS and our netbook is Ubuntu 9.04 netbook version.

We click on the chosen image and a message box appears and just continues for say "Uploading photo."

I have searched and located problems with java but we are up to date with Sun Java 6 and the plugin link. I tried to upload .jpg and .png but no success. My search found only problems with no java and a blank box wanting a plugin. This is not my problem.

Since it is all three computers on a home network, I assume that the fault is possibly network based but I uploaded an image to another site with problem. My firewall accepts uploads and downloads as all my speed testing of up and down speeds can attest.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Facebook - "Uploading photo" - forever

Post by DrHu »

enigma wrote:Since it is all three computers on a home network, I assume that the fault is possibly network based but I uploaded an image to another site with problem.
You mean with no problem...
http://www.facebook.com/help/question.php?id=235785
http://www.facebook.com/help/question.php?id=233879

For web sites, you often need to have javascript ON, especially uploading or attaching files to an email
--in the case of facebook, perhaps they also want flash or some other plugin available..

http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=8 ... noscript=1
  • To set one of the photos you have already uploaded as your profile picture, select "Make Profile Picture" at the bottom right when you are viewing the photo. You can change or remove your profile picture at any time by moving your mouse over your profile picture and selecting the "Change Picture" link that appears in the upper right-hand corner. You will see options to upload a new photo, take a picture with your webcam, choose an existing picture from the album, edit the thumbnail version or remove the picture.

To add a profile picture if you do not currently have one, navigate to your profile and click one of the links under the silhouette to upload a picture from your computer or take one with your webcam. If you choose to take a picture using your webcam, you may first have to allow your Flash player to access your webcam.

If you are having trouble adding or changing your profile picture, please note that you cannot upload a photo if it is more than three times as tall as it is wide. If you are still experiencing this problem, please report the issue here.
cannot upload a photo if it is more than three times as tall as it is wide.
so normal portrait shots would be ok, 8 x10, 6x4, 3x2

For Linux, unless you want to give away your /home directory name or filename path
--I usually copy images to /tmp; using that method for screenshots that I sometimes upload to the mint forums..

I would also try another photo sharing site like Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/
--to find out if it is a Facebook issue with computer uploads verses Internet transfers(uploads) to Facebook's site..
enigma

Re: Facebook - "Uploading photo" - forever

Post by enigma »

Thank You for the quick reply.

Some of the information that you gave me was very useful.

The links to the facebook pages did not highlight my problem. It appears that facebook does not have a time out feature on the uploading. Facebook probably sent a message to my machine and is waiting for a reply and waiting and waiting . . .

The problem could be anywhere.

The good news is that I finally did upload the image by using a livecd. I read recently about doing internet banking via a livecd and I thought maybe it might work for this. It did. It blows my guess about the home network causing the problem. I have to think that our two to three year old operating systems may be the culprit. Time to upgrade.

Your mention of the image proportions is dead on. I had to recrop the original image to a square because the first upload was too much of a rectangle. It only showed my wife's eyes up. She was not impressed!

Your information about the upload file location is excellent need to know. I copied the re-cropped image to a usb stick.

The bottom line is the original problem is solved but I don't have any idea about the cause.

Again, Thank You for the reply.

Return to “Software & Applications”