[BUG] Archive Manager filling up my HD with temp files...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
optimize me

Re: Archive Manager filling up my HD with temp files...

Post by optimize me »

Where are you finding those files? In your home dir? Somewhere else?

It's been a while since I had to use it so I could be wrong, but aren't .fr-XXXX files from PhotoRec? Have you tried to recover any deleted files lately?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aehjr1

Re: Archive Manager filling up my HD with temp files...

Post by aehjr1 »

If, after you know what creates them, you want to cron a script to delete them, you can always do that. Or, you could run it each time you boot.

The best way to remove files matching some pattern is the "find" command, which can not only find files but process those which are found. You can add attributes used to find files to limit by: file name/name-pattern, time-stamp and size. An example would be:

Code: Select all

find /home/frosty -name 'fr-*' -mtime +3 -size 100k -exec rm {} \;
The above would find files under /home/frosty with file name starting with "fr-", last updated 3 days ago, size at least 100Kb; the find then executes the "rm" command on each file it finds (that's the reason for the "{}"). The final "\;" is required when using the -exec option.

I have no doubt a search of the forum will show a lot about setting up cron entries if you need help.

HTH

Return to “Software & Applications”