[SOLVED] nrg2iso - Cant get it to work. Help pls.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roshichris

[SOLVED] nrg2iso - Cant get it to work. Help pls.

Post by roshichris »

I need to burn a couple of .nrg files onto CD. I can't find a tool to burn them directly (well, I tried the default Brasero but it just copied the file, so I ended up with the .nrg file on data disc. This is not what I want, I need the end result to be 'live' CDs [Its a 2-CD game]) so I am trying to convert the .nrg files to .iso files. I am trying to use iso2burn, but it gives me the following return -

Nrg2Iso v0.4 by G. Kokanosky
released under the GNU GPL v2 or later

Usage :
nrg2iso image.nrg image.iso

--version display version number
--help display this notice

...and does not convert the file. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some other way I can avoid having to convert the .nrg files altogether?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaye

Re: nrg2iso - Cant get it to work. Help pls. Or alternative?

Post by Kaye »

Well, it seems like you're not using the command correctly. The syntax (as it says) is

Code: Select all

nrg2iso [name of .nrg file] [desired name of .iso output file]
roshichris

Post by roshichris »

I do sometimes struggle with complex syntax as i've never done any programming at all, but I can't see how I could be getting something this simple wrong. I have tried just the filenames ie

nrg2iso GameFile.nrg GameFile.iso

Which gives the message I included in my first post. If I try the full filepaths ie

nrg2iso /home/chris/Games/Gamefile.nrg /home/chris/Games/Gamefile.iso

It gives me -

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Please try this exactly as shown above again, in a terminal, with the error message, then take a screenshot of the terminal and post the screenshot to this thread. Something is seriously wrong with your typing or the terminal characters....
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

lagagnon wrote:Please try this exactly as shown above again, in a terminal, with the error message, then take a screenshot of the terminal and post the screenshot to this thread. Something is seriously wrong with your typing or the terminal characters....
Agreed. If you're getting an error with that syntax you have serious problems.
roshichris

Post by roshichris »

Here it is..
roshichris

Post by roshichris »

OK so when I posted that last post, I realised that the error was probably due to the filepath having parenthesis in it, so I removed them from the file name, and tried again. Now it returns the original error as described in my OP. (see screenshot).
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

roshichris wrote:I need to burn a couple of .nrg files onto CD. I can't find a tool to burn them directly (well, I tried the default Brasero but it just copied the file, so I ended up with the .nrg file on data disc.
Meaning the file you are attempting to convert is already an .nrg copy via Brasero or not ?
--since the last post, screenshot implies (to me) this is no longer the case ?
That just confuses me, what is it you are trying to actually do ?
  • I need to burn a couple of .nrg files onto CD
  • I tried the default Brasero but it just copied the file
    --I ended up with the .nrg file on data disc.
roshichris wrote:OK so when I posted that last post, I realised that the error was probably due to the filepath having parenthesis in it
Space character in the file name path
-- start by putting quotes ( ' or ") around the pathnames for the .nrg and the .iso locations
  • just match the quotes being used begin quote ' end quote '
Your first post, sample does not match your screenshot (terminal) ..
nrg2iso /home/chris/Games/Gamefile.nrg /home/chris/Games/Gamefile.iso
--that sample would have worked, no space characters in file name path

Also it is your own /home directory, so you shouldn't need to prefix nrg2iso with sudo (getting root privilege), unless this utility needs that level of access

Nrg2iso, was a windows program..not much documentation at Linux version
http://gregory.kokanosky.free.fr/v4/lin ... so.en.html
And that brings up a question, which version are you using, how did you obtain it for mint ?
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

rosichris: your problem is that you do not understand the rules of Unix filenames. They can have spaces in them (but this is considered very bad practice), but when you type them on the command line you must "escape the space" to let the operating system know you have a space, otherwise it assumes the space is separating commands. The escape character is "\" the backslash. So like this:

nrg2iso my\ file.nrg my\ new\ file.iso

You can also use quotes around the entire filename if you wish. The other thing you need to know is if your command line is really long and exceeds the space of the terminal width then you can run your command across lines by again putting a backslash as the last character on a line (this "escapes" the newline character). I suggest you go to your local library or purchase a beginners Linux textbook so that you will enjoy the experience more, rather than being frustrated.

PS: You post of Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:58 pm was confusing because you did not tell us that those were not the real filenames you were using. If you do that in any forum you are likely to get incorrect responses.
roshichris

Post by roshichris »

Bingo! Thanks very much. Yes you're right I think about needing to do some learning. I didn't think I would need to know stuff like that to use Linux, I thought it was supposed to be user friendly! :wink: But i'm willing to learn. I'll post a a topic asking for suggestions on a good book. And I'll mark this as solved.

Thanks again.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

roshichris wrote:I didn't think I would need to know stuff like that to use Linux, I thought it was supposed to be user friendly!
You would need to know that in Windows as well, because in the Windows shell, if any filename has spaces in it, you have to do the same thing and escape the spaces with \ or quotes. In a GUI you can just select the file and not worry about it but in the command line you must follow rules (another good reason not to have spaces in filenames, so then you don't have to worry about these things)....

PS: there is a GUI of nrg2iso ( http://linux.softpedia.com/progScreensh ... 38682.html ) available, which might have solved the filename spaces problem for you, but at least now you know for next time you need to use the terminal.

Return to “Software & Applications”