Possible bug in Nautilus?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sanjima

Possible bug in Nautilus?

Post by Sanjima »

I've experienced this same problem without fail for a while now. When I try to copy a large quantity and/or size of files (larger than say 1 or 2GB), Nautilus does something rather odd. It basically completely freezes, and while doing so, maxes out my processor (as best as a single-threaded program can, so basically it maxes out one of my two cores) and maxes out my ram as well.
Only about half the time it does this, do the files instructed to be copied actually do indeed copy. And when they finish (only way I can tell is when the hard drive light settles down), nautilus continues to max out my processor and ram, and does so indefinitely until the process is killed.
A few days ago I just freshly installed a new copy of Mint and immediately downloaded and installed all automatic Mint Updates as usual. And I still had this problem without fail.

Also, when this happens, instead of a progress window coming up, a tiny little window the size of a fingernail, big enough for 10 square pixels of empty title bar and 10 square pixels of empty window, comes up. I suppose this is supposed to be the file operations progress window, but it's completely empty and too small for anything to be on it anyway, not even a close button in the title bar.

I'm stumped. xD Anyone have an idea?

By the way I'm running Mint 7 Main edition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Possible bug in Nautilus?

Post by DataMan »

If you're not adverse to running a KDE app, I'd recommend trying Krusader. I've been using it quite successfully for several years. It does a great job with copying large files (I've actually used it to copy a 43G partition to a backup external).

-DataMan
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sanjima,

Nautilus, in my opinion, is an overly complex application that has a number of problems/bugs. I think it is one of Gnome's biggest flaws. Though others are sure to disagree with me, that is my opinion.

I agree with DataMan here. Krusader may be more limited, feature wise, but it is much less buggy. Another file manager that I like is Dolphin. It is maturing rapidly and gaining features with every release. Warning, Dolphin is one of those apps that most either hate or love.

Both of the above apps are KDE however. For a Gnome user this means pulling in a lot of KDE dependencies that you would otherwise not need. They will be a bit slower on a Gnome desktop too. But on fast modern equipment, you most likely will not notice.

Fred
Sanjima

Post by Sanjima »

My system is a little bit on the old side, but it'll probably do fine. It's from around 2005-2006.

This definitely sounds inviting though, switching to Krusader. How would I go about installing it? Could I go into the terminal and use apt-get install krusader?

And how would I go about switching completely over to it and doing away with Nautilus? Or perhaps I could instead use Dolphin. I'm kind of torn between which one I want to use. lol
Helix the II

Post by Helix the II »

Sanjima,

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to back up my home directory for my switch from Gloria to Helena and I noticed I had to kill nautilus. If I do small amount of files, its fine... but my 7gb home directory basically commits suicide when I try to copy and paste it. However, I think via terminal it works fine, but I've only tried it a little.

This is rather annoying and I think it is a problem with Ubuntu that is being passed down to Mint and possibly something to do with X64... but I could just be pumpin' smoke out of me arse, so feel free to ignore that statement. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”