Problems installing Windows game with Wine Doors (solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farna

Problems installing Windows game with Wine Doors (solved)

Post by farna »

System: Athlon 1200+, Mint 7 Gloria, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 256MB video card.

I just installed Wine Doors and all dependencies. I used it to install DirectX 9 with no problems, so Wine appears to be working. The problem occurs when I try to install a downloaded game (or the same game from a purchased CD). I used the "browse" option in Wine Doors to select the downloaded .exe file. I get the following message: "You don't have permission to install games from Big Fish Games on this computer. Please log in with an administrator account and try again". My wife likes the hidden object search games and I thought I'd try one under Wine.

This is a fresh install of Mint 7, only been running 5-6 days, and only Linux programs installed using the Mint 7 Package Manager. It's mainly been used to get on the Internet. When I installed it I enabled auto log-in. When installing Linux programs a window comes up for a password. I type in the admin password and it continues. Why won't this program? I tried logging in as "root" also. I'm new to Linux and using the Mint GUI. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to launch the .exe program from a command line, but I can get to the command line and am familiar with using one (from years ago though). I can double click on the .exe file and get the same results. If someone needs a copy of the file to try just let me know -- all I ask is that you not register the program in your name...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Problems installing Windows game with Wine Doors

Post by Husse »

From where do you get the message?
From Wine?
It seems so to me, you may benefit from a look at WineHQ
farna

Post by farna »

The message is obviously coming from the Windows installer program. Sorry about not mentioning that!
Husse

Post by Husse »

If it's coming from the program installer it thinks you use a guest or standard account in Windows - most people run as admin in Windows because anything else is hopeless
Unfortunately I have no solution to this - I don't use Wine so my experience is non existent
Your hope is the Wine forums
Normally you don't have permissions problems with Wine
farna

Post by farna »

Thanks for the tip! I'll visit the Wine forums and see what they think...
farna

Post by farna »

Okay, I visited WineHQ and found this:

phillip1882 wrote:
i get a permission denied error when i try to run civ 4 from a cd, even under wine. i didnt see anything in the faq about this so i thought i would ask here if anyone knows how the get permission.

Correct, cdroms are not mounted with execute permissions on files - which means you can not _run_ programs from there.
This is default "security" feature of your distro.

So it seems that Wine or Mint is displaying the "no permission" box. Is there a way to change permissions on the CD-ROM drive, at least temporarily? I tried copying the files to the HD (to a folder in my desktop) and running from there, but that doesn't work.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry, I don't think it's possible to make a file executable on a CD
farna

Post by farna »

Okay, but most Windows software packages install from a CD, and the software won't install by copying the CD to the hard drive. So how the heck do you get the software installed?
Husse

Post by Husse »

You are right - I must check this again
farna

Post by farna »

I've described this problem in the WineHQ forum also. When/if I find a solution I'll post it here also. I installed one game from CD with no problems, haven't tried but these two. There were no problems installing the other (a "Big Kahuna" word game), but the cursor (appears to be a sprite) in the game "ghosts" on the background screen and stays there. Doesn't cover the actual game board though. That's another reason I wanted to install the native drivers for the video card, figured that might help. I'm ditching the Radeon card in favor of an Nvidia card as soon as the new one (FX5200) gets here and I have time to install (next few days).
farna

Post by farna »

Just got a reply from WineHQ! Apparently this is a known bug and has been fixed. It will be in the next release... whenever that is. Apparently if I want/need it now I have to compile Wine from the bug fixed source code. I'm not about to attempt that! New to Linux, and not a programmer. There was mention of a patch, and I've asked if the patch can't be applied without compiling everything. Rather than re-post here again, anyone interested should go to:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=34925#34925
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

consider qemu or virtual box. These are simple games and performance shouldn't matter.

Also consider codega forums as they are the gaming illigitamate child of WINE
farna

Post by farna »

I'll take a look at both of those! I knew about virtual box, but would prefer to not use something like that. Still, might be a good temporary solution!
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Wine cannot and should not be run as root. Your wine directory is in your home directory so everything is owned by whatever your username is and wine doesn't know that root has read write access to all user files so it will throw a permissions fit and nothing will run.
Also, compiling wine from source isn't all that hard. Here are some instructions I wrote awhile back:

Go to Menu -> Package Manger -> Settings -> Repositories and then check everything with deb-src. Hit OK and exit.
Open a terminal window and run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove wine
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep wine
This will take awhile since it has to download about 500 MB of stuff.
Now find the file you downloaded earlier (you can just move it to your home folder if you want) and run

Code: Select all

tar -xf wine-1.1.27
cd wine-1.1.27
./configure
make && make depend
sudo make install
winecfg
Cancel out of winecfg and that should be it. You can delete the wine folder you downloaded.

EDIT: If you are running 64 bit these instructions will not work. I forgot to ask that before I wrote this post, so if you're running 32 bit just ignore this, otherwise post back and I'll make the changes.

Also, change the 1.1.27 to whatever version you're compiling.
farna

Post by farna »

I'm running 32 bit. I might just give it a try -- doesn't look like as much work as installing Virtual Box then XP in that!
naldira

Re: Problems installing Windows game with Wine Doors (solved

Post by naldira »

Please suggest me a printer for DTP Purpose. I'm unable to decide between Inkjet and Laser.? I plan to setup a DTP center for this purpose I'm planning to buy a printer. I'm unable to decide between Laser Printer and Inkjet. What are their pros and cons for both of these? My budget is not more than Rs 8000.
rich_roast

Re: Problems installing Windows game with Wine Doors (solved

Post by rich_roast »

naldira wrote:Please suggest me a printer for DTP Purpose. I'm unable to decide between Inkjet and Laser.? I plan to setup a DTP center for this purpose I'm planning to buy a printer. I'm unable to decide between Laser Printer and Inkjet. What are their pros and cons for both of these? My budget is not more than Rs 8000.
Start a new thread on the chat board. This is not relevant here.

Return to “Software & Applications”