Multiple users (logfile permission error)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rank0

Multiple users (logfile permission error)

Post by Rank0 »

I searched the forum but didn't find this issue reported yet.

I have two users on my computer. If one user logs in, then logs out and the other user logs in after that, mintUpdate fails to start. I first noticed this when I saw only one icon in the notification area. That got me thinking: "Hmm, there's Dropbox, but shouldn't there be something else also... Ah, the padlock!"

When I try to start mintUpdate from the terminal, I get this:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mintUpdate.py", line 1206, in <module>
    log = open(logFile, "w")
IOError: [Errno 13] Lupa evätty: '/tmp/mintUpdate/0_23628.log'
Lupa evätty means Permission denied. mintUpdate attempts to create a new logfile but fails due to permissions.

/tmp/mintUpdate has the following permissions:

Code: Select all

drwxr-xr-x 2 muut   muut   4096 2009-11-17 11:47 mintUpdate
The user and group are set according to the user who first started mintUpdate.

Additional info:
  • Kernel 2.6.28-15-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - KDE Community Edition
  • mintUpdate version: 3.7.9.1
Fix/workaround

I've fixed this problem temporarily with either chown or by removing the mintUpdate folder. A reboot should also clear /tmp folder. But these are just workarounds, not real fixes.

Other than this, Mint's been working quite well! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Multiple users (logfile permission error)

Post by DrHu »

Probably the easiest method, fix sudo to enable user running of specific applications..
http://www.linuxquestions.org/blog/rich ... ons.-2409/
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/sudo-guide.xml

But a lockfile used by such an application may prevent any other user other than that owning user from being able to run the application
  • The same thing happens if you try and run synaptic from the desktop and then from the terminal, with the same logged in (active) user.
    --I wouldn't really call it a problem, since you wouldn't likely want rogue or ghost administrators running amuck on the system: altering it

Return to “Software & Applications”