Adobe Flash 10.1 Pre-Beta

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
themew

Adobe Flash 10.1 Pre-Beta

Post by themew »

Anyone installed this yet and can comment on its' performance??

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Linux version is here > http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Adobe Flash 10.1 Pre-Beta

Post by lagagnon »

Given the past performance of Adobe and their software (or rather "bloatware") I would never use a Beta version of theirs. Just a warning.
themew

Post by themew »

I just downloaded it and extracted the libflashplayer.so file. I renamed the current file in the usr/lib/ directory (go in as root) and rename the old file. Copy the new file into the directory and open your favorite browser.

Adobe will see the version as: 10.1.51.45

Speed seems much smoother than the current version and cpu usage also looks lower.

I figured I'd try it and if I had issues I could simply reactivate the current version.

BTW, I'm running it in Mint 8.
der-olli

Post by der-olli »

Mhh, that didn't work for me.

After renaming the old "libflashplayer.so" (strangely, I only found that file by seaching (STRG + F) the "lib/"-directory, not by just browsing the folder) I copied the new file in the "usr/lib/"-directory and reopened my browser. But now firefox tells me there's no flash-plugin installed. Did I miss something?
themew

Post by themew »

Yeah, you must have missed something. Simply rename the old file such as ZZZZlibflashplayer.so and copy in the new libflashplayer.so file (be sure you're in as root) and you're done. I'm using Mint 8 but that shouldn't make a difference if you're using 7 or another linux variation.

So far after doing a lot of testing here are the pros and con's I've found:

PROS: Sites using flash like Youtube, and flash games on games.com and Facebook run much quicker. I've also found that I am offered additional graphics and options in games using flash.

CONS: I've found that the pre-beta does kick the cpu up to 100% -- I'm running a dual-core AMD so either cpu 1 or 2 jumps and stays at 100% for an undetermined amount of time before returning to normal.

Since you're keeping the current and pre-beta in the same directory, you can switch back and forth as needed.

Return to “Software & Applications”