C++ IDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

C++ IDE

Postby Marcush on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:46 pm

One if the mayjor reasons I came to mint was because I had some basic programming skills, (completed some simple projects) and wanted to go multi platform before becoming to comfortable in Windows. But so far I cannot find any good Integrated Development Environments in C++, maybe I need to lower my standards but Im used to using Bloodshed Dev C++ and Microsoft Visual Studio Express can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks for your Help it is much appreciated.
There are 10 types of people in this world those who understand binary and those who don't.
Marcush
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: C++ IDE

Postby lagagnon on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:23 pm

Which ones have you actually tried and why did they not match your standards? There are many and most are very good IMHO: Eclipse, Anjuta, Code::Blocks, KDevelop to name but a few.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Marcush on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 pm

I tried anjunta and eclipse but I will try the others on your list thanks.
There are 10 types of people in this world those who understand binary and those who don't.
Marcush
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AwesomeSauce on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi... I am currently studying electrical engineering and most of my colleagues (including myself) are using "Geany" or "NetBeans". Geany is great if you don't want the IDE to do most of your work, while NetBeans assists you in every possible way. Both can be found in the standard repositories. Just ignore that NetBeans is described to be a Java IDE; you can download a C++ plugin right from the program itself.

Greets...
AwesomeSauce
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lagagnon on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:49 pm

IMHO many students starting out with programming tend to get hung up on the application itself rather truly learning the art of programming. In fact, in many ways learning a language is best done by using a text editor and then when the programs start to get complex with lots of libraries, functions, modules etc, in separate files then and only then does an IDE make much sense. Learning the IDE takes away from the programming & logic skills, at least at the beginning.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby hinto on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:41 pm

...Except knowing a few IDE's makes you buzzword compatible and can help get your foot in the door and land that first job....
And you might learn something in the process ;)
What brought me to Debian was one-stop shopping.
What brought me to SID was apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
hinto
Level 6
Level 6

Postby lagagnon on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:47 pm

^^ +1
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications