Wine and Office 2007 in Helena

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Wine and Office 2007 in Helena

Postby souljerzoflight on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:47 am

Well Hello everyone,

I am definately a newbie here but have spent the last three days trying to get my office suit to work in mint helena. I have tried several different distros of wine and went through many tutorials for it as well. many of which were for ubuntu 9.10. I am needing ms office due to school work, we use it as a universal program there, well who doesnt i guess. any help would be great or even any leads to a tutorial that works.i am wanting to go full swing into mint but have to make sure that office works before i delete my win 7 partition.
souljerzoflight
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wine and Office 2007 in Helena

Postby DrHu on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 am

souljerzoflight wrote: ...I have tried several different distros of wine ....i am wanting to go full swing into mint but have to make sure that office works before i delete my win 7 partition.
Install win7 inside a VM (Sun virtualbox), and run your office there, it might even work better..

For Linux Mint 7(gloria) main edition..
In terminal, check
    apt search virtualbox
    p virtualbox-2.2 - Sun VirtualBox
--I don't know which version of Sun's virtualbox is available in helena (based from Ubuntu 9.01, Karmic Koala)
http://tolearnfree.blogspot.com/2009/11 ... 12-on.html

Wine method (1.1.32) and Office 2007..
http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-review ... -1132.html
    Wine version tested: 1.1.32
    Windows version emulated: XP
    Office version: Microsoft Office 2007
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby hinto on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:14 am

I've had problems getting my Kensington Bluetooth dongle recognized by VirtualBox.
I have a Nokia phone I'd like to synch with Outlook running in XP/VirtualBox.
Has anyone successfully done this?
Thanks for any info.
-H
What brought me to Debian was one-stop shopping.
What brought me to SID was apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
hinto
Level 6
Level 6

Postby hernando on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:55 pm

Hey, I installed Office 2007... in Mint 7, and now in Mint 8. Only Word, Excel and PowerPoint, the rest is totally unnecessary for me.

I leave you a link... the problem is that this is in Spanish... hope you understand something... :? It's a blog from an Ubuntu-Mint user, and this guide is made for Ubuntu 9.10 but I assure you this work in Helena.

http://mgsanchezs.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/office-2007-en-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala/#comment-229

You need CrossOver Pro Linux 8 ... you have a link there to a .deb file (click and install :wink: )
Also you need the Office 2007 CD, or an installer, with all the corresponding keys...
In that link you have a lot of Screenshots that can guide you even without understanding much spanish.

Hope this helps you... I understand that M$ Office is installed everywhere, but we should avoid it as much as possible. Excel is quite powerful, but the rest of the suite is nothing special... I prefer OO Writer instead of Word... but on the other hand I feel more comfortable with Excel than with OO Calc...

You could try and start using OpenOffice more often... I have a Portable version of OpenOffice, so I carry it with me in my USB pendrive, plug in, and work with OO everywhere, no matter what machine i'm using, keeping my plugins, and my configurations. I strongly recommend you this option if you can.
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
(99 MB download, 248 MB after you decompresse it.).

Bye!
Hernán.
hernando
Level 2
Level 2

Postby souljerzoflight on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 am

you guys are great! I love a forum with lots of friendly help. I have not tried any options yet but will keep you guys posted once i do. Hey i am wanting to run my magic jack too in mint helena any ideas?
souljerzoflight
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications