ctrl+w stops vim instead of splitting the vim window[SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gorfou

ctrl+w stops vim instead of splitting the vim window[SOLVED]

Post by gorfou »

Hi!

I got a problem: when I press 'ctrl+w' in vim, in gnome-terminal, vim stops. 'fg' brings it back as if 'ctrl+z' was pressed. It's kind of annoying: I can't switch between two files in my splitted vim (:split command), which is a feature I'm using regularily.

Why is it that way? Why isn't the old 'ctrl+z' efficient anymore? Why does it still works in a pure CLI (on first tty)? How can I switch again in vim?

If you have any idea...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: ctrl+w stops vim instead of splitting the vim window

Post by Husse »

You forgot to tell us which version of Mint (exactly) you use
The use of vim is not really commonplace these days....Also check man vim and don't forget google is your friend (except when it comes to privacy)
gorfou

Re: ctrl+w stops vim instead of splitting the vim window[SOLVED]

Post by gorfou »

Wow!

I lost hope for an answer on this post. Thanks Husse! It made me dive deeper into my search results.

At first hand, I thought that was a mint 8-specific problem (I'm on helena), because I didn't spot this in my -lightly used :oops: - install of gloria, resulting in the sloppy request hereabove.

In fact, it's not even a gnome-terminal bug. It's a GTK bug! It happens with non-default keyboards -i.e. usually non US-. I found a solution in the comments of a bug report ( this post in particular). It seems that something is wrong in GTK with different shortcuts on different layout, and switching between them.

So to fix this, it's simple:

- check your layout is the default
- delete all other layouts
- re-add non-default layouts (optional)

you can do this using the command

Code: Select all

gnome-keyboard-properties
in a terminal if you have gnome.

Sorry again for the post above and thanks for your attention, Husse!

ps: yeah, vim isn't common place nowadays... but it's powerful once taken the -quick- vimtutor tutorial and had a user-provided syntax coloration file for Oz (homepage wikipedia), a really clever language I had to learn for university.

Oz features higher-order programming, heavy multithreading, lazy execution, dataflow behaviour and different versions of state. Extremely interesting, but you'll need the book.
Husse

Re: ctrl+w stops vim instead of splitting the vim window[SOLVED]

Post by Husse »

I skip vim simply because I feel I'll never get the time to really learn how to use it - it is a very competent word processor
It's really interesting that GTK can have this effect....

Return to “Software & Applications”