Osmo... (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Osmo... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

Osmo is a program I have been using with every edition of LinuxMint since I discovered it while using Daryna and it is worked flawlessly and become an essential tool. Now I'm having problems :cry:

I sought the advise of the Osmo developers, as below:

"I have been running Osmo v2.4-2 under LinuxMint "Gloria" without problems ever since I installed it. That is, until yesterday. For some reason Osmo has ceased functioning. Clicking on the application icon launches Osmo, inasmuch as another icon appears on the Panel but clicking on that icon does nothing.

I have uninstalled Osmo and reinstalled it but the error remains. Please are you able to guide me as to what may be wrong?"

They suggested I run Osmo in a terminal and post the output to them. I did so, and my reply follows:

"Launching from the terminal returns a flashing cursor but no other output.It does put the Osmo icon on the panel. Clicking on the icon with the left
mouse button to display Osmo does nothing. Clicking on the icon with the right mouse button and choosing each of the options in turn does nothing."

They then suggested that I quit Osmo (or use killall -9 osmo), then backup $HOME/.osmo directory, edit $HOME/.osmo/config.xml and modify the line:

<enable_systray>1</enable_systray>

to

<enable_systray>0</enable_systray>

save the file and run Osmo again (it disables systray). They were not sure if it helps, but it is worth a try. They said further it it if didn't help, there could be some problems with your window manager or your distro.

I did as they suggested and then ran Osmo. This time no icon appeared on thepanel :-( Looking at System monitor showed that it was Sleeping, so, yes, it did launch.

And that is where matters stand at present.

Is anyone on the list able to suggest whether the Window Manager could be at fault and, if so, what I must do to resolve the issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Osmo...

Post by slider »

I would think that before messing with window managers, I would try a few simple steps first.

Keep in mind that when you uninstall a program that normally does not remove the confg files that are in your home directory, so if there is a corruption there, it will be passed on to the new install as well.

Backup your .osmo folder or just drag and drop it to your desktop temporarily (a new confg file will be auto-generated on next start) > start osmo from the terminal and see what happens. Check for any output.

If this fails remove all traces of osmo from your "home directory" and "your system" (with the exception of your backup) this time and re-install it again. You may need to use the "locate" or "find" search feature in the terminal in order to be thorough.

Run the program again without making any changes to any confg files.

Let us know if this helps.

*If you have valuable info integrated into this app, I would back that up as well by any means possible.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You could also try monitoring the system via something like systemtap

In terminal, check
  • apt search systemtap
    i systemtap - instrumentation system for Linux 2.6
    i systemtap-client - instrumentation system for Linux 2.6 (clie
http://stapgui.sourceforge.net/

Possibly it (Osmo) conflicts/interferes with other contact managers, calendars that may be system installed, like evolution, lightning etc ?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

slider wrote:I would think that before messing with window managers, I would try a few simple steps first.

Keep in mind that when you uninstall a program that normally does not remove the confg files that are in your home directory, so if there is a corruption there, it will be passed on to the new install as well.

Backup your .osmo folder or just drag and drop it to your desktop temporarily (a new confg file will be auto-generated on next start) > start osmo from the terminal and see what happens. Check for any output.

If this fails remove all traces of osmo from your "home directory" and "your system" (with the exception of your backup) this time and re-install it again. You may need to use the "locate" or "find" search feature in the terminal in order to be thorough.

Run the program again without making any changes to any confg files.

Let us know if this helps.

*If you have valuable info integrated into this app, I would back that up as well by any means possible.
Thank you for your very practical advise. It was indeed a corrupt config file and carrying out your suggestions solved the problem. I am now a very, very happy geriatric :lol:
kesavachandran

Re: Osmo... (SOLVED)

Post by kesavachandran »

I have Mint XFCE 2.6.32-21 generic as my distro.I have faced similar problems with OSMO which had to be surmounted..As gui wasn't of help used terminal with an abridged # osmo -c output (MAN OSMO) which does not "run off the screen".Sought
http:// sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_ID=206587 to get a work around viz. # LC_ALL=C osmo the problem is almost solved but OSMO keeps vanishing when accessed via GUI.This geriatric too feels" half a loaf is better than none" :D

Return to “Software & Applications”