xsane problem in Helena

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ColJep

xsane problem in Helena

Post by ColJep »

Yesterday I needed to use xsane urgently on my Mint 8 computer. It is not installed by default but easy from Software Manager. All seemed well until I tried to select a photo to scan from the preview. It was impossible to drag the scan area although the mouse pointer changed correctly. I am familiar with xsane.

Clicking anywhere inside the scan area made the scan area from that point to the bottom left corner.

I had a second computer and was able to install Ubuntu 9.10 and use xsane correctly from the system (it is installed by default).

After that I did a completely fresh install of Helena on the same computer and installed xsane again with the same result.
Edit: That means xsane did not work correctly.

The computer is an Asus P5N73-AM with Nvidia graphics. My main machine is an Asus P5QL-CM with Intel graphics.

I have Googled and searched the forums to no avail.

Has anybody any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: xsane problem in Helena

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

Have checked this out on my system and had the same result. Previewing the scan does not allow you to re-define the area to be scanned. This would appear to be a bug in Helena.

This is a bug and has been reported as a bug in Ubuntu 9.10
ColJep

Post by ColJep »

Yes I thought it was a bug but xsane worked perfectly in Ubuntu 9.10.

I think it has something to do with xsane not being part of a basic install in Helena but included in 9.10.

You have to install xsane from the repositories in Helena. I think the problem lies there.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

I am having the same problem.

How would I force the 'Helena' version of xsane to be installed rather than the stock Ubuntu one, if that is (for some reason) the problem?
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I am not sure why Xsane works fine with 9.10 because the bug report was generated by someone using Ubuntu 9.10. How-ever there is not a different Xsane version for Mint and so if you have the problem it is probably a case of waiting for a bug fix. I have not found any alternate scanning software.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I can confirm this behavior also. I booted into a Ubuntu 9.10 live-cd and Xsane "rubberband" selection after a preview scan works correctly. This is not a major show stopper but is quite an annoyance when Xsane works in the upstream version.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

On my system there is also another problem in that when scanning and saving to home, Xsane saves the file required plus a second file raw.pnm. I have no idea why this happens but it does it for all file extensions. My scanner is a Canon Canoscan LIDE 60 and works perfectly with previous versions of Mint running the same version of Xsane 0.996.

I have also checked this out on my hardware with Ubuntu 9.10 and as you say it works perfectly. I have therefore reported this bug as it is obviously Mint related.
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

I have the same problem using xsane and Mint 8 that others are reporting. In my case the same printer/scanner works fine when connected to one of my 9.10 machines. I did a complete removal and deleted the .xsane directory and reinstalled, same problem.

Don't know if this makes a difference but my Mint 8 is 32 bit and my Ubuntu is 64 bit

I tried it on my Ubuntu 32 bit Karmic and it worked fine.
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

As a temporary thing, I turn the preview through 180 degrees then crop it before scan.
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

GSXR750L wrote:As a temporary thing, I turn the preview through 180 degrees then crop it before scan.
If I'm understanding you right you rotate the preview 180 degrees then crop it, this did not work for me.

Also not sure if this would make a difference but I am running Mint8 32 bit on an AMD64 mainly because I only have 1 gb ram and the 32 bit buntus seem to run a little better.
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Just had another try at it to find out what I did > acquire preview > click top left of area to be scanned > turned through 180 > clicked top left of area to be scanned again ( which is now the opposite corner of wanted area when done ) > this selects crop area > then click scan.
sixthwheel

Post by sixthwheel »

Looks like this bug has not been fixed yet, since my 32bit Karmic installation has no problems with selecting scan area. Mint 8 is a different story. :roll:
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

No. I cannot see it being fixed as the replies I have had suggest that the bug is also in Karmic although I am the same as you, my setup works fine in Karmic. I have tried the RC1 of Mint 9 and it works graet with Xsane.
ColJep

Post by ColJep »

I have just tried xsane using the RC of 64 bit Isadora. It works perfectly.
Good enough for me! :D

Return to “Software & Applications”