DVD Rom drive is not recognized :(

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
serdal

DVD Rom drive is not recognized :(

Post by serdal »

Dear Friends,

I have been using Linux Mint v.7 for more than a month, and I don't want to go back to xind@x$ anymore. However, sometimes I am having this problem. In fact, I have this very same problem with Ubuntu, Xandros, Mandriva, Mandrzke, Suse as well. I am using wine now and it helps for installing and running a lot.

Back to my problem: I have converted my avi movie to DVD by using ConvertXToDvd software. When the program asked me to insert an blank DVD disk, I did so. The "BURN" button never got highlightened, in other words the software (Also Linux Mint OS-via this software) didn't recognize my blank DVD disk and/or DVD Rom Drive.

I searched internet and came accross with this AVS converter, but it never even started running after I finished the installation.

I will appreciate your valuable helps. Very best regards . . .

Serdal
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: DVD Rom drive is not recognized :(

Post by MaddogF16 »

If you've had that many distros have this issue let's start at the bios, does your bios even show that DVD rom drive.
zts

Post by zts »

I had similar (and never resolved) problem but only with the PPC (non-Intel Mac) versions (Ubuntu 9.10, Fedora 12, openSUSE 11.1). However, Debian 5.0.3 for PPC and Ubuntu 9.04 for PPC work just fine and automount media of any kind (commercial/retail DVD, audio CD, blank media, etc.). However, on Intel-based systems I've had no probs at all with the latest releases.

See if you can manually mount these drives that are not working when you insert media and check your fstab ( /etc/fstab ) file and see if it looks correct. Here's a link with some basic explanation:
http://justlinuxguide.blogspot.com/2009 ... -file.html
serdal

Post by serdal »

Dear MaddogF16,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I apologize, but I really even don't know what bios is. Please forgive my ignorance. I love linux, that's why this time I have decided to stick to Linux no matter what! And yes, I am enjoying your very valuable helps a lot. I am grateful to you.

All right, let's get back to business: Normally, whenever I put a CD or DVD into the DVD Rom drive, I can see it either on desktop and/or when I click on My Computer icon, I can see the DVD/CD there, as well. But when it comes to converting my avi files into DVD, I can not get access to my blank DVD at the very last (burning) step of the conversion operation.

Very Best Regards . . .

Serdal
serdal

Post by serdal »

Dear ZTS,

I checked the site and saw the explanations. Thanks a lot. But how do I open fstab? Shall I do that in terminal? I opened the terminal and typed fstab, and clicked enter and it was wrong command. Then I typed etc/fstab and clicked enter and this time nothign happened.

As I said, I am worse than a newbie, I guess and will appreciate your precious helps, please, since I am running out of time.

Very Best regards . . .

Serdal
zts

Post by zts »

serdal wrote:Dear ZTS,

I checked the site and saw the explanations. Thanks a lot. But how do I open fstab? Shall I do that in terminal? I opened the terminal and typed fstab, and clicked enter and it was wrong command. Then I typed etc/fstab and clicked enter and this time nothign happened.....
Hi Serdal,
in GNOME desktop/environment (I rarely if ever use KDE) you can get to the *fstab* file either by exploring directories in Nautilus (the file is in the *etc* folder or if you need to use terminal, type and then hit the return/enter key:
gnome-open /etc/fstab

the command will open the fstab file (which is a text file) in gedit text editor. In most cases in order to actually edit file you first need to become the root user, so in that case you may want to open the fstab file with:
sudo gnome-open /etc/fstab

Be careful when doing this and always have a backup/copy of the original file.
serdal

Post by serdal »

Dear ZTS,

Thank you very much for your precious time again.

All right, I did so and got this text screen:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=eb8c0e7a-0192-416e-8d49-342c54d4e213 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=2d97b391-3b3d-4a99-8923-b56f3a948ee2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

And when I typed "sudo gnome-open /etc/fstab" and then enter, I got this in the terminal:

serdal@serdal-desktop ~ $ sudo gnome-open etc/fstab
[sudo] password for serdal:
Error showing URL: Error stating file '/home/serdal/etc/fstab': No such file or directory
serdal@serdal-desktop ~ $

I really do not have a clue what all these mean. I know they must mean somethings and contain important information, but it is me, the problem.

One last question: How can I install a virtual desktop (software) and run xind@x$ applications? Could you recommend a specific software for Linux Mint? I have to carry out this video convertion job very soon.

Thank you very much for your precious time and info, again and again . . .

Serdal
zts

Post by zts »

Hi Serdal,

you forgot the forward slash before the etc --> /etc in the sudo command:
sudo gnome-open /etc/fstab
But regardless, your fstab file looks OK and it should be working as it is.

Try looking into some solutions that other people got (like if you have a PATA drive or SCSI, etc.):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316796
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/396949

more info on fstab:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

manual mounting:
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/mounting.html
serdal

Post by serdal »

Dear ZTS,

I tried the first link and 3rd method. Here is the result:

serdal@serdal-desktop ~ $ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Whatever I put into the DVD drive it is recognized, no problem, but when it comes to write/burn the dvd file through the burn engine of ConvertXToDvd nothing happens.

I will try the other remedies as well, and will inform you.

Thanks a lot.
Serdal
serdal

Post by serdal »

Dear ZTS,

I am trying Devede now. It also has converted the avi file into DVD, but again, I can not burn the DVD format into DVD disc. How to do this?

Thanks, best regards . . .

Serdal
zts

Post by zts »

Hi Serdal,

men I can feel your pain -- burning DVD/CD should be (and in the vast majority of cases is) a very simple process. But I can understand because I spent a week dealing with MacMini that refused to load anything till I downgraded to a previous version.

In emergency transfer your DVD file to a computer that has no problem with burning DVDs. Before that check also:

1. in Nautilus (file browser) -> Edit -> Preferences
click on the Media tab and check if everything looks Ok there

Under Other Media there is a section for blank DVD

2. you may also want to check this (permissions for your account):
- from Mint main Menu -> All Applications -> Users & Groups
- click on the key symbol at the bottom and enter your password
- click on your name and click on Properties and then click on User Privileges tab
- check that your usage of CD-Rom drives is checked, access external storage devices automatically is checked ..when done, close it
- then click on Manage Groups -> find and click on *cdrom* in the list -> click on Properties and make sure that your name is checked under Group Memebers. When checked -> OK, then find
- *plugdev* (in the same list where *cdrom* is)-> Properties -> and make sure your name is checked under Group Members

By the way, DeVeDe is a very good software for what you need, but it won't work unless your OS is able to recognize the drive's writing ability (or to mount it correctly). Come to think of it, you may also want to check if any software updates/dependencies for your system are available via the Update Manager (small lock at the bottom right on your desktop taskbar).

*Edit: if the DVD burner is older, check if it requires specific DVD media for burning + or -. Many older burners have that limitation (like older Macs had strong preference for the minus - media).
serdal

Post by serdal »

Dear ZTS,

I am amazed how much help I am getting here in this neat forum, Linux Family of ours. "Thank you" is not enough, I know, indeed.

All right, when I went to user groups, I unlocked under my name (serdal), then when I hit the manage groups, surprisingly I couldn't see neither cd-rom drives or their names, nor plugdev. I see this vertical list:
root; users; libuuid; syslog; klog; fuse; ssl-cert; lpadmin; crontab; mlocate; ssh; avahi-autoipd; gdm; netdev; saned; pulse; pulse-access; pulse-rt; messagebus; polkituser; avahi; haldaemon; admin; sambashare; serdal; vboxusers; winbindd_priv .

Meanwhile, I converted two avi files already. Devede has converted them into .iso format, then by using K3b (Burn dvd iso image) I finally recorded/burnt the DVD (iso?) files. I checked them in my divx player and they seem like playing well. I will check later to see if they play in regular DVD players as well. I will inform you how it goes.

I tried to install Tovid and Tdisc but I forgot how to type those texts on terminal menu/screen. I remember starting with sudo and then apt or opt-get install Todisc . . . . . ? Am I correct?

I also will try to install virtual mechine (Desktop?) by the same (terminal) method, thus I may be able to create a xind@x$ virtual desktop. This is another project on my mind.

Very Best Regards . . .

Serdal
serdal

Post by serdal »

Dear ZTS,

I began another avi -> DVD conversion right now. Before started, I clicked Advanced Options -> Only Convert Film Files To Compliant Mpeg files. In my previous conversions, "Create an ISO or BIN/CUE image, ready to burn to a disc" option was marked, and it seems like this option is default. Does it matter if I use this (ISO) option?

Thanks a lot . . .

Serdal
zts

Post by zts »

Hi Serdal,

At least several DVD movie players included in Linux distros can or claim they can play .iso files. IMO, when it comes to the .iso movies playback, your best bet is the VLC player which is available for all or almost all platforms. In Mint it's not installed by default, but it is available through your Software Manager (Sound & Video section). For the VLC player for other platforms (Windows, Mac, etc.) go to:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Glad things are moving along.
serdal

Re: DVD Rom drive is not recognized - PROBLEM'S BEEN SOLVED!

Post by serdal »

Dear ZTS,

Thank you very much for your reply and patience. I am really grateful to you. Yes, indeed, I love VLC for it almost works in any platform as you said.

Now the good news! As I had mentioned about the file conversion, I went through as .iso result. What I am doing is I am converting the avi files into DVD via Devede by clicking the very first icon on top (Video DVD) and it seems like the outcoming result file is ISO format/file. Once the conversion is done, I close Devede and open K3b program.

With K3b, I am clicking on the ' Burn DVD ISO Image ' icon, and choosing the iso file which is already converted in the Devede (movie) folder. That's it. I tested two DVD movies today in a regular DVD player, and it works like charm!!!

Thank you very much again and again for your precious time and patience. I feel I am being cared here in this wonderful Linux family, and I am grateful to all of you.

Very Best Regards . . .

Serdal
amaretha

Post by amaretha »

How to get the phantom cards in Pokemon Trading card game rom? Well I've been playing the Pokemon Trading Card Game lately on ROM for my computer. I have collected 226 cards now. You need the game-boy to get the level 15 mew and level 64 venusaur. You need to do a card pop trading via game-boy connections. Since I don't have that functionality with my laptop is there a way or a downloadable cheat to get these cards to complete my collection and build the mystery deck.

Return to “Software & Applications”