Wrong architecture Error (Mint 8 x86-64)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
playnicekidz

Wrong architecture Error (Mint 8 x86-64)

Post by playnicekidz »

I have downloaded a .deb package (it is a package of a forex trading platform from a respectful broker - i do trust them). on trying to install the package i got the following: "Error: Wrong architecture 'i386' ". I am running Mint 8 x86-64.
Is it impossible to install a 32bit app on 64bit Mint?
Or is there any other cause?

---
i know that app is written with QT. The download page says nothing about dependencies. i haven't tested the possibility to install it on any other linux system unfortunately.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Wrong architecture Error (Mint 8 x86-64)

Post by MaddogF16 »

Do they offer a 64 bit version?
playnicekidz

Post by playnicekidz »

no, they don't.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

My guess is they packaged it specifically for 32bit. My understanding is that 32bit packages can run on 64bit computers if packaged to do so, but I'm not a packager, I'll either use what's already packaged or compile it from source.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

You could try this.
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

Note that getlibs is a useful tool if you need further 32bit libraries then what ia32lib provides. Worst case scenario you could always use a virtual machine to run a 32bit distro if you only use the app on occasion.
playnicekidz

Post by playnicekidz »

gn2 wrote:You could try this.
i've installed the package according to that tutorial. the app doesn't work. it appeared in mint menu, but package managers can't find it. i cannot remove it from terminal either (it says ca'nt find package *****).

can anyone help with removing the package? at least from mint menu.
thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”