itunes on mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cgutzmer

itunes on mint?

Post by cgutzmer »

Has anyone had any luck getting itunes to work on linux mint? itunes ver 9... I tried on wine but get a nasty error 7. I asked over there on wine hq tooo but not much input besides upgrade to latest version of wine which didnt work. I installed the lenny version
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dequire

Re: itunes on mint?

Post by dequire »

At the end of the day, it's up to Apple to get iTunes working with Linux. Not the other way around.

Why don't you run XP in a virtualbox if you really, really, really have to have iTunes? Or send Apple an email. I'm sure if enough people did...
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

I know how to get itunes on Mint (Set your ipod on top of the monitor), presto itunes on Mint. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry for the lame joke, couldn't resist, shoot me. :?
cgutzmer

Post by cgutzmer »

HAH! I like it! No, its not a requirement :) I am rather liking Mint to the Max! I will install itunes on my archaic desktop my kids use, that will suffce, just wondered if anyone got it working is all :)
Chris
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Apple does not want iTunes to work on Linux. That company is run by control freaks that only care about limiting consumer choice, and maximizing profits.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

-o0o-
  • SongBird (excellent audio player BTW) imports and can play itune files, well on windows it does nut sure for linux
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

Other than to purchase songs I don't know why you'd need iTunes. I put music on and off my Nano (3rd gen) all the time, using Rythumbox. I do remember reading somewhere that you can't use both iTunes & any of the linux solutions. Something about messing with the database, I buymy mp3s at Amazon and there are other places. Do the same with my wife's Shuffle.

When I wanted another mp3 player because I decided to leave the Nano hooked up to the radio in my truck I bought a Sansa Fuze,lost it and bought 2 Sansa Clips. They all work fine with Linux, you can drag and drop you music to the music folder. They mount as a USB thumb drive. They will also play .ogg files after a firmware upgrade.
cgutzmer

Post by cgutzmer »

thanks guys :) tried songbird and it doenst recognize the music. I can only mount the ipod to get to the pics. i will just use my itouch with my old windows pc :) its a pity though since I got a $50 gift card for itunes! ah well ;)
Chris
dequire

Post by dequire »

Songbird needs an Add-on to make it work.

iPod Device Support
hernando

Post by hernando »

Try searching "itunes" in the linux section of Google : http://www.google.com/linux
Arron

Post by Arron »

virtual box runs itunes like a charm. Can buy update/upgrade whatever. Just make sure when doing upgrades, when the device restarts (iphone for example) you set the usb device back to virtual box so it can continue.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

cgutzmer wrote:thanks guys :) tried songbird and it doenst recognize the music. I can only mount the ipod to get to the pics. i will just use my itouch with my old windows pc :) its a pity though since I got a $50 gift card for itunes! ah well ;)
Chris
-o0o-
  • thats strange i imported all the ipod songs directly from H/D along with the playlists, and was impressed it worked on mint
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image

Return to “Software & Applications”