Having transmission write to another hard drive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ruthy

Having transmission write to another hard drive

Post by ruthy »

Transmission (which have to note is the best Bittorent i've ever used) is installed on the same drive as mint, but i want it to write to my data drive. However, the torrents which are in transmission wont start automaticly. Is this because i have to enter a password in order to get access to the data drive, which if removed would solve the problem? Or is there something else i need to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Having transmission write to another hard drive

Post by red-e-made »

If your data drive containing your torrent files is password-protected, this might be why they won't start automatically when you open Transmission. I've never tried this myself, to be honest, but it does sound like the issue.

The only solution that I can think of - apart from manually starting each time - is to keep your .torrent files on your main drive, and the downloaded material on the data drive. If this doesn't work, then yeah, guess a manual start each time is the only way around it.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

How is it that i would stop Mint asking for a password to get to my other drive?
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Just so I understand you correctly: are you talking about an external hard drive or a partition of your existing hard drive?

If it's the former, you can change the permissions of the drive from Terminal pretty easily with:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R 777 /yourdatadrive
If it's the latter, you shouldn't be prompted to provide a root password at all, but you can use the same procedure for making it read/writable without a password.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

It is just a partition of my hard drive, but when i type in what you said this is what it replies: “cannot access `/yourdatadrive': No such file or directory”
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

ruthy wrote:It is just a partition of my hard drive, but when i type in what you said this is what it replies: “cannot access `/yourdatadrive': No such file or directory”
Please, please forgive me for insulting your intelligence with what I am about to ask, but: you did not literally type "/yourdatadrive" in that portion of the code, right? You put, in lieu of "/yourdatadrive", the path to your partition?

I only ask because that would get the most simple solution out of the way. If you did indeed put the path to your partition in that part of the code, then there's a different problem altogether.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Good morning

Don't worry I'm really not computer savy. I'm not quite shore what your asking. Basically what i did was open the terminal and copy and pasted: sudo chmod -R 777 /yourdatadrive
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Nice catch red-e. Judging by his experience level I'd say there's a good chance ruthy is using the the GUI to mount and browse to his external drive. If this is the case he probably just needs to add this partition to fstab so it auto mounts.

Although...
...after looking at his first post more carefully mounting the drives might not be the problem at all.
Is this because i have to enter a password in order to get access to the data drive
It sounds like the password mounting issue is his guess as to what's causing the problem.

Ruthy: Open Transmission, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Torrents tab and make sure "Start when added" is checked. If it isn't, check it and see if that fixes your problem.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

ruthy wrote:Good morning

Don't worry I'm really not computer savy. I'm not quite shore what your asking. Basically what i did was open the terminal and copy and pasted: sudo chmod -R 777 /yourdatadrive
Ah, I see. In that case, what you need to do is replace "/yourdatadrive" with the actual path to your data partition. For example, in my case the path would be /home/red-e-made/Desktop/Anime.

First, try what RedWagon suggests and add the partition to fstab. First, you need to know where this partition is. Open the Partition Editor and look for it. Its location should be /dev/sdaX (the X being a number in your case). Also check what file system you're using. It's probably ext3 or ext4, but it's important that you jot that down.

Let's say your data partition is located in /dev/sda5 using an ext3 file system, and the path is /home/Ruthy/Downloads. Open your Terminal by typing

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
At the bottom of the file, add the line

/dev/sda5       /home/Ruthy/Downloads   ext3    defaults     0       0
and restart. This should automount the data partition every time you turn on your computer.

Once this is done, Transmission needs to be configured to automatically start your torrents the moment you open it. For this, RedWagon has it: Open Transmission, then go to Edit>Preferences>Torrents and check "Start when added".
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Having a bit of trouble finding the partition editor. I've seen it before, but just can't remember where it was. My word what a process to undertake just to get the system access to another part of my drive!

Start when added is already ticked. The problem is that before as soon as transmission would be launched it would start seeding or downloading, now i need to add them every time.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

ruthy wrote:Having a bit of trouble finding the partition editor. I've seen it before, but just can't remember where it was. My word what a process to undertake just to get the system access to another part of my drive!
mintMenu>Adminstration>Partition Editor
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Hi red-e-made
Thank you for the help, but Linux finally broke me. So am back on Windows. Actually never thought that would be this happy going back to Windows.
Do think that Linux has potential, but a constant thought which every designer should have whilst working on a distro is “would my mum be happy using this?”
Thanks again for your help.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you went cold turkey off Windows which almost never works. If you have a laptop or secondary computer to mess around with it it's a lot easier to learn on your own time.

Return to “Software & Applications”