Installing Typo3 in Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing Typo3 in Mint

Postby golub on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:35 pm

First I should say that as a Linux noob I've been pretty impressed with Mint so far. Seemed to install simply and has most of the things I need by default. Actually like it better than Umbutu by itself, though that was pretty decent as well.

I'm an old dog in the DOS/Win-whatever world, having used everything from DOS 3 to current. Personally I think Vista is going to push my buttons on the whole "right to run my computer my way" issue and hence why I'm finally trying to learn my way around Linux...

Where I am stuck however is in trying to install Typo3, which includes Apache, MySQL, PHP4 and TYPO3 itself. I've figured out how to run the script file, and that doing so in Terminal lets me see what's happening.

The first couple of lines seem to be generating errors though, as it wants to create directories under the /user directory which is owned by Root. I've figured out how to give Root permissions and a password of my own choice. Figured I had it made only to try and log in as root from the graphical interface it says I can't do that...

Should I be looking at a more server oriented version if I want to play with web hosting? I'm actually not trying to server to the internet at the moment, just wanting to use this platform for web page development...

Thoughts? Help?

Thanks,
Golub
Last edited by golub on Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golub
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Root

Postby golub on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:06 pm

OK, figured out how to get logged into root thanks to Google. and yes I read the warnings on getting hacked while in Root. Not sure what else to do though seeing as the stuff doesn't want to install unless you are logged in as root...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Shawn
golub
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 900i on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Golub, you should be using "sudo" before the command and inputting you password when prompted. You don't need to activate the root account.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

sudo?

Postby golub on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Sudo? OK let me try that (and do some more reading...)

Thanks for the point in the right direction :)
golub
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:05 pm

To become root: su -

To run something as root: sudo the_command_to_run

It is considered good practice to never become root... and to just rely on sudo to do administration stuff.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

su and sudo

Postby golub on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:37 pm

Thanks for the input and clarification guys. The little bit of linux I know so far is old school from the sound of it, because on the mail server/firewall comp my company had it always ran in root, LOL.

Looks like this thread has similar input concerning why root was or is disabled in Ubuntu Linus and its offspring... http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-31053.html

Thanks again for the friendly and helpful responses,

Golub
golub
Level 1
Level 1

Typo3

Postby golub on Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:33 pm

In the interests of keeping my Typo3 install issues in a single thread, the next stumbling block was that the script tried to test whether the C compiler was installed and working or not. As its not installed by default in Ubuntu, its not in Mint Linux either...

Found that it can be installed by running the following command:

sudo apt-get install gcc

Hope this helps some poor soul who tries to do all of this after me, LOL.

Be good,
Golub
golub
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:45 pm

sudo apt-get install build-essential

to install all the basic development stuff.. (gcc, make, etc...)
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Typo3 install...

Postby golub on Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:06 pm

Thanks for the tip... not sure if I needed more tools or not, but would rather have them than get to a later point in the Typo3 install script and find I did, LOL.

Having a bit of fun. Seem to be getting around a bit better, more comfortable with Terminal, editing that script a bit, etc. Thanks for the help :)

Golub

PS. As an update, in the future, prior to trying to run the Typo3 install script, I would run these terminal commands first...

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install Re2c
sudo apt-get install bison
golub
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications