How to format my usb harddrive to EXT4

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gasolin

How to format my usb harddrive to EXT4

Post by gasolin »

I have decided to format my Wd My Book Essiential 500gb usb harddrive (the old model) in to ext 4 , but mint 8 64 can only format my harddrive in ext3,
when i right click and choice format. How do i format my Harddrive in to EXT4
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Brian49

Re: How to format my usb harddrive to EXT4

Post by Brian49 »

The Palimpsest disk utility, installed by default in Mint 8, can do this, if the idea is to format the USB drive from within Mint. I also use this utiliity for mounting USB drives, as Nautilus doesn't seem to perform well with them.
gasolin

Post by gasolin »

I am now trying Gparted and it seems to work !
Last edited by gasolin on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

why ext4 or ext3? there only ext2 with journaling? just takes up more room :D
gasolin

Post by gasolin »

Carl wrote:why ext4 or ext3? there only ext2 with journaling? just takes up more room :D
I have seen test where ext 4 is faster then ext 3. I now have a problem accessing my harddrive, i can't move my movies over to my harddrive.
I just want every computer that can read ext 4 to be able to see what's on(don't think that's a problem) the harddrive and be able to ad new data(movies)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Now you know why you can't go to BestBuy and pick up a ext2/3/4 formatted usb drive.

When you insert an extx usb device it automounts with ownership = root:root and permissions of 0755. This is completely different from how a fat32 or ntfs usb device automounts.

You'll need to do a sudo chmod 0777 /media/whatever initially so you can write to the device. But it gets worse.

When you give it to sally and sally saves a file to it the permissions will likely be sally:sally 0644
Sally can read and write to it and others can only read, When she gives it back to you your system has no clue who sally is. So now you need to do a

sudo chmod -R 0777 /media/whatever so that the permissions on all saved files are writeable.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”