Problems making kernel Modules for LinuxShield 1.5.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
letjustplay

Problems making kernel Modules for LinuxShield 1.5.1

Post by letjustplay »

Hello. I'm knew to Linux Mint. I have experience with Centos Linux. I am trying to Install McAfee LinuxShield 1.5.1 on my system. This requires me to make kernel modules for the kernel that I am running. I am running the 64-bit Linux Mint 8 Helena and when I do a "uname -r" it returns 2.6.31-14-generic.

When I did this on Centos I had to download the kernel source files, I installed in a directory under my /home directory and compiled a new kernel image without using root or effecting my currently installed system. I made a kernel image by running "make bzImage" which is directed by the McAfee install documentation. After this completed, I ran a make command under the linuxshield directory that used the image from the "make bzImage" and produced the two kernel modules for my installed kernel. I placed the kernel modules in the proper directory and Linux shield is running good.

Basically I am trying to do the same thing in Linux Mint. I am testing this distro to possibly use in a Information Systems Security environment where lockdown tools and anti-virus software is used. So, back to my problem, I found a Ubuntu Kernel Compile howto article (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile) and was following the instructions to get the source files needed to compile the kernel and make an image to create the kernel modules I need.

The first command I ran was:
sudo apt-get install fakeroot kernel-wedge build-essential makedumpfile kernel-package and everything went well.

The second command I ran was
sudo apt-get build-dep linux and I get the following error "E: Unable to find a source package for linux-meta"

Do I need to run this command to install the compiler related packages and kernel packaging tools as stated in the howto article? If so, where do I get these packages and tools for Linux Mint 8? Am I following the right guide to make a kernel image for Linux Mint or do I need to follow another guide?

Thank You.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Problems making kernel Modules for LinuxShield 1.5.1

Post by Husse »

Welcome and sorry for the late answer
This is no "ordinary" question and I suppose that's why no one has answered
Is that the exact message about meta?
You can find the source here
I can't say what the proper procedure to install the LinuxShield would be and lack of time prohibits me from doing a deep search about it, especially as all hits in a search for linuxshield ubuntu or linuxshield mint are either old or odd...

Return to “Software & Applications”