Beryl

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The X200 is a low performance chip, and has its fair share of problems because of that...
We need some more information about your computer.
How much memory and is the memory shared or does your x220 have its own memory?
Laptop/desktop and processor too
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sanchopinky wrote:I know this is going to sound dumb, but where do I find that?
e.g. in the tech specs of your machine? e.g. when you bought it? Can you at least say what brand/make/model your computer is?
Husse

Post by Husse »

You get some info from lspci in a terminal, but not the amount of memory etc.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Sanchopinky
I tried to search for a solution, but you soon get too many results that are inadequate. I don't think you can use emerald without Beryl or Compiz (you can use some themes in Compiz)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Good idea
And tseliot wrote
Can anyone please help me get this thing working?
I have a x200 series integrated ATI card with the Envy drivers installed.

ATI's proprietary driver won't work with AIGLX +Beryl. You should try XGL+Beryl instead.
And if tseliot says something about envy - that's how it is, he made it.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

If you had Beryl working once it was probably before you used Envy to update the video driver. The proprietary ATI driver does not support composite extensions and will not work with Beryl unless you are running under an XGL session.

You should try going back to the default open-source driver before messing with XGL. There is a very nice guide on setting up Beryl with the open-source driver here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_feisty ... ati_radeon

Follow the steps for setting up the video and xorg.conf file. You don't have to worry about installing Beryl since it is already included in Cassandra.

Return to “Software & Applications”