[RESOLVED] Bizarre message from Amarok - help

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[RESOLVED] Bizarre message from Amarok - help

Postby MikeO on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:33 am

Hi everyone.

This morning I got a strange message from Amarok: Could not launch the mail client. KDEInit could not launch KMail; Could not find kmail executable.

Of course... Kmail is not installed.

The other thing is that it's not possible to build my collection anymore. It used to do it via SQLite but this morning, MySQL was the database that was selected. I am not able to change it back to SQLite. When I do and apply, that's when that strange message occurs.

I tried unsinstall/reinstall to no avail. Any ideas ?

Oh... another thing, when I start Amarok, I receive a first message saying that MySQL could not find a host or server. When I reinstalled, it seems to keep all my previous configurations even if I did a complete uninstall.

Thanks a bunch... I've been on Mint for a week now and absolutely love it!
Excuse my poor english... I'm french-canadian.

MikeO
Last edited by MikeO on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeO
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby newW2 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:19 pm

Welcome to Mint MikeO.
What does this mean?
When I reinstalled, it seems to keep all my previous configurations even if I did a complete uninstall.

Did you select: "Mark for complete removal" in synaptic when you removed Amarok?
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Finally got it to work

Postby MikeO on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi !
thanks for your concern.
What I meant was that after a "complete removal" and then, after a reboot, a reinstallation of Amarok, it still was displaying that message about not finding a server for MySQL and I was still unable to set it to SQLite without crashing Amarok.

What I finally did was to completely remove Amarok and Amaro-xine (it unsintalled upon complete removal, of course). Then I went to Home and showed hidden files. In .kde/apps/ there was still an Amarok folder. I deleted it, reboot and reinstalled Amarok.

When I started it, it was again displaying that message about MySQL but I was able to set it to SQLite without crashin Amarok. I then rebuild my collection and now... its up and running Pink Floyd's Sorrow at full blast :D

Everything looks fine. I don't know if my method was a bit rude in anyway for the system (I'm new to Linux... and loving it), but it seems to work well.

thanks again !

MikeO
MikeO
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:22 pm

Thanks for responding. I have your solution marked now. Funny you mentioned Pink Floyd (one of my favorites), I spent yesterday and last night playing youtube video of Pink Floyd concerts and solo concerts, interviews, etc of Roger Waters. Today I plan to buy (catch up) on some of the music by them that have disappeared from my collection over the years. :D
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Yeah...

Postby MikeO on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:30 pm

Well, luckily for me I have all the studio albums, along with Genesis, Gentle giant, Jethro Tull and the rest of the Brits progressive rock invaders :D

It's an old love from my adolescence... it's still very alive despite the fact that I'm nearly 50 years old :?

Best of luck with your "catching up" !

regards
MikeO
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications