Cowsay Quotes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
texasdeez

Cowsay Quotes

Post by texasdeez »

Hello, I want to change some of the cowsay quotes because I find them useless. I like the idea of quotes, but I prefer less sarcasm and bite. I've looked in /usr/bin but I cannot find cowsay. I've searched and found some 'cowsay' files, but none of them contain the list of quotes. Any ideas? I'm using Helena 64...

Cheerios!

TD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Cowsay Quotes

Post by DrHu »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... gs#p238746

The bash prompt sayings come from the program fortune or an equivalent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_(program)
texasdeez

Post by texasdeez »

thanks for the reply, but I'm not trying to remove them entirely, but edit the quotes so that I can decide what the cow says. See?

TD
texasdeez

Post by texasdeez »

Bump....

Where is the database of quotes for cowsay? I want to edit them. Anyone?
texasdeez

Post by texasdeez »

For anyone who wants to know, the quotes exist in databases here:

/usr/share/games/fortune

But it's not a simple edit and I haven't figured out the rest yet.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

texasdeez

Post by texasdeez »

So here I am again...I've managed to edit the list of quotes. They exist in 3 formats--a text file, a .u8 file, and a .dat file. I even manage to 'srtfile' them, which I guess updates the databases, but the updated database is never outputed automatically upon opening a terminal. If I input the command 'fortune mydatabase', all of the quotes are outputted at once despite being separated by the proscribed '%'. Does anyone know how to work this thing?

Texas
texasdeez

Post by texasdeez »

bump

Return to “Software & Applications”