F Spot photo problem....

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rodhill

F Spot photo problem....

Post by rodhill »

I have recently installed F Spot on my Linux Mint (Helena) as it didn't come pre installed. I installed it ok, connected my Panasonic digital camera, it asked how it was connected and I checked USB. It then commenced to download my 380 pictures saying the destination folder was 'Photos'. I watched the green bar move across as it was transferring them. After it had finished I went into the F Spot programme and lo & behold there were no photos in there or my Photos folder :(
Can someone tell me why? and where the pictures might be?

Thanks

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: F Spot photo problem....

Post by BrianD »

hard to say without having seen the screen while the copy was under way... but, if you know the name of at least one of the images, you can find it by issuing the following command in a terminal window:

find . -name <filename>

so, for instance, if one was called DSC00031710.JPG, you would type:

find . -name DSC00031710.JPG

the find command would then return the full path to the specified file. keep in mind that filenames in Linux are case-sensitive, so .JPG is not the same as .jpg ...
rodhill

Post by rodhill »

Thanks Brian I'll do that.

Rod
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It is a shame that you are exposed to this rodhill, but I will offer my opinion fwiw.

FSpot is the worst gui based program that I have ever had to endure in the Linux world. True there are some programs that are worse than this without a gui, but not many, so, if you ever find your photos again do yourself a massive favour and switch to a better photo manager - there are an awful lot out there.

I can only assume the developers of Fspot must make large donations to Canonical, it is the only way a program that bad could be included by default in a Linux distro.
rodhill

Post by rodhill »

Thanks I've done a search but the terminal doesn't find anything unfortunately. Whether that's because of a how I typed it in the terminal I don't know but I tried it a few ways but nothing.
I can't think what to do next and it's very frustrating. I haven't lost my pictures they are still on the camera as I set FSpot to make a copy.
Viking can you or someone suggest what to do next?

I appreciate your help
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I'm glad you haven't lost your photos, I thought that was what had happened. What to do next?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge remove fspot

sudo apt-get install gthumb
Is what I always do. Gthumb suits my needs, but maybe you want something a little more detailed. Picassa is mentioned a lot, (mind you so is fspot!). Just do a search for Linux photo managers but ignore anything that mentions fspot in a positive light :lol:
capt

Post by capt »

I second gthumb! I installed and really like it. You can even down size the photos easily. :D
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

One of the stupid things I have found in F-Spot is this exact problem. After you Import photos and it "looks" like the function has accomplished, you are left with a window with options to CLOSE or IMPORT. You must hit IMPORT even though you think this is what you have just done. Try it again and look for the IMPORT button after it has scanned for your photos. They should then show up in the F-Spot viewer. You may also want to try Picasa which is in the software manager (if you don't mind using Google products).
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Hey I am glad it is not just me that hates it. Any manager program (photo/file/whatever) that does not have an 'Open' entry in the File menu ought to be erased from the Linux archives for ever, not included by default in the largest circulation distro on the planet.

The first (and last) time I used it I was using a small / partition with my photos on another partition. I couldn't find a simple 'open' command so I foolishly pressed the only button I could find that looked similar - Import. I thought it would just link to them. Instead of that it really did import them, or at least it tried, trouble was the size of the photo file that it tried to import was larger than the remaining space on the partition it was trying to import them too. Result? It gave up trying to import them when It had run out of space, and I could no longer boot my distro.

It really is a piece of misguided nonsense this program, and I am secretly pleased to see that it is not just me that it tricks with its idiotic ways.

PS. Dont bother posting to tell me how I should have done it, it doesn't matter any more I will never use it again!
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

The reason the size doubled was because by default the program creates a copy of ALL imported files in a new folder called PHOTOS (as well as the files being copied to the import source). You have to uncheck this box when importing.

Return to “Software & Applications”