Directx 9 / Direct 3D

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lolypopgirl1862

Directx 9 / Direct 3D

Post by lolypopgirl1862 »

I tried downloading these and it worked, like with all other .exe programs. Then I tried installing it with Wine. I'm not sure if it worked. I tried playing a game and it keeps saying I need to download Dirextx 9 or enable Direct 3D. I tried searching for both of the programs in the search but they didn't show up. 1. How do I see if I even installed them right? 2. How do I enable them? (If I installed them right) 3. How do I install them right? (If they aren't installed right.) Thank you for the help. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vortex59
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Directx 9 / Direct 3D

Post by vortex59 »

What means "like with all other .exe programs" ? Usually wine must be already installed and than the windows .exe progs. However I think DirectX need a little more "working" around. There is a script that must also be installed: winetriks (http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks) that help you install other things often used with windows including an experimental directX - if I remember well -, but never worked with it. Look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1173365 to have an imagine on how to install a complex program (like MSOffice2007) on linux (Ubuntu).
"A scientist is someone whose curiosity survives education's assaults on it". Sir Hermann Bondi
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://www.wine-reviews.net/
  • Sure, Linux has a myriad of fantastic free games available (and even a number of commercial ones) for the platform, but that’s not good enough for gamers. Does the latest and greatest hot off the press game run on Linux? No. Does an awesome proprietary game from 10 years ago run on Linux? Possibly.

The lack of commercial gaming on Linux continues to be a stumbling block for many and the current gaming market keeps them on Windows. (Indeed, many otherwise full time Linux users dual boot Windows for games.)
However many windows applications like Ms Office can run with wine, since they don't depend on the 3D game interface (directX)
The reason that wine or any commercial wine derivations, such as Codeweavers cross-over or Cedega cannot run all the windows games is due to directX support being less than is available natively with windows OS
--just installing directX won't make it (directX) support work for the windows games that would run under that interface

The easiest and surest way to get a windows game to run properly is to multiboot(dual) windows (first drive/first partition as per Microsoft system requirements is best/easiest option) and Linux
--or use a separate windows OS + Games computer, just for games or some applications you use in windows that cannot be run under wine or in a VM, like virtualbox

If you want to try it..
You will need some windows files, if you have a windows CD, that won't be a problem..
http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-review ... -wine.html
  • winecfg
    Once the .wine directory is built the configuration tool will start and you can set a virtual desktop in the graphics tab if you wish. This is a good time to also set your Audio driver in the Audio tab.
    next up is to install a native mscoree.dll and streamci.dll into /system32 from a windows install and set them to native Windows.
    You will need to set a large number of dlls to native for the install to work properly. Here is the full list of dlls that needs to be set.
lolypopgirl1862

Post by lolypopgirl1862 »

You guys lost me. :P
Can you break it down into simpler terms?

Return to “Software & Applications”