where is the virtual wine c drive!!!!!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clgy15

where is the virtual wine c drive!!!!!!

Post by clgy15 »

Hey guys,
Iv been trying to find the wine c Drive for like forever. Its not its usual place so I really need to know where it is so I can get itunes up and running. Oh is it possible to run itunes with sudo privileges so that I dont have to make all the folders!?!? very important question. Yes Itunes can be installed and run but obviosly it needs to run with administrative priveleges
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: where is the virtual wine c drive!!!!!!

Post by remoulder »

clgy15 wrote:trying to find the wine c Drive for like forever. Its not its usual place
If it's not under <your home>/.wine/drive_c then something is not right. In that case how did you install wine or did you install something else like wine-doors, in which case it's probably under that hidden folder. Did you run it as root before as this is NOT a good idea?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Running a Wine program at root will not in any way make it run better. The entire C drive for Wine is owned by a standard user, everything it needs is right there so there is no reason to run it as root. Also, running as root within Wine elevates Wine and the program together to root, between Wine and the program itself there is absolutely no difference between root and a standard user. The only difference is now Wine can write your entire hard drive, not just your home directory. Anything not in your home directory is going to be very Linux-specific and shouldn't be modified by Windows programs anyways.

If you have run Wine as root in the past, permissions in your .wine directory are probably messed up making it so Wine can only be run as root. Run this (replace username with your username)

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R username .wine/
to change ownership of everything in your .wine directory back to you. After that, don't run Wine as root again.

Now, the problem you're probably having is your music is on a different drive that you currently do not have write access to. If that's the case you should just change the permissions of that drive so you can write to it and everything will work. If you think that's the problem, post the output from

Code: Select all

mount -l
and we can help get that fixed.
clgy15

Post by clgy15 »

Well I found the c drive in a hidden folder. I saw .wine then found my c drive. I installed wine doors so that would explain it

Return to “Software & Applications”