Firefox can't connect to multiplayer flash game and crashes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gargalash

Firefox can't connect to multiplayer flash game and crashes

Post by Gargalash »

Hello,
I am using Helena x64 and an Dell Inspiron 1501.

When I try to play this game:
http://www.miniclip.com/games/disc-pool/en/
and I choose "play as guest", it will never go pass the "login in..." step. Then if I close the tab or the browser, or leave the page, it will make Firefox crash and close instantly.

So, I have tried it with this other game: http://www.miniclip.com/games/vector-city-racers/en/ it will keep trying to connect as a guest and nothing will happen.

As I am quite a beginner, I have no idea at all what could cause this!

Any ideas?
Thanks for helping!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox can't connect to multiplayer flash game and cras

Post by xnostradamusx »

i tried the game i got disconnected from server

using mnt 8 kde x86
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
vincent

Post by vincent »

Do you have the latest version of Flash x64 (10.0 r45)? That might help...

Try going to another Flash site like Youtube and seeing if that works. If it does, maybe it's just a problem with Miniclip.
Gargalash

Post by Gargalash »

vincent,
Thanks for your suggestion. Youtube and any other flash objet/site works fine.

I have tried to update my flash player, but following the instructions on Adobe's site are not right. I am downloading the tar.gz, but when extracting it, I end up with a file named "libflashplayer.so" and not the directory they are mentioning in their instructions:
Installation instructions for tar.gz

1. Click the download link to begin installation. A dialog box will appear asking you where to save the file.
2. Save the .tar.gz file to your desktop and wait for the file to download completely.
3. Unpackage the file. A directory called install_flash_player_10_linux will be created.
4. In terminal, navigate to this directory and type ./flashplayer-installer to run the installer. Click Enter. The installer will instruct you to shut down your browser(s).
5. Once the installation is complete, the plug-in will be installed in your Mozilla browser. To verify, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.
Any help would be welcomed!
Thanks!

Edit: I can't use the DEB package, I get an incorrect i86 architecture message
vincent

Post by vincent »

If Youtube and other flash sites work fine, then I suppose this may be a problem strictly related to Miniclip, and a Flash update may not necessarily fix your problem. In fact, I just went over and tried out Vector City Racers, and got stuck when I tried to login as Guest; I had to force-quit Firefox, and Chromium got stuck too, although thankfully it can't crash the entire browser, just the tab which I used to try out the game. Kinda strange...I mean, I have no problems with other flash games on other websites, e.g. AddictingGames.com, so I'm inclined to think that something is peculiar with Miniclip, but I have absolutely no clue.

But anyways, if you do want to update Flash, and I would recommend it regardless of whether it works or not with Miniclip, since Flash is notorious for being a preferred target for hackers and whatnot, you must keep in mind that you are using a x64 version of Mint and Firefox (that's why the "incorrect i86 architecture message" appears; x86 (32-bit) and x86-64 (64-bit) are two different architectures). Adobe's main Flash download page serves you with 32-bit Flash, which isn't of any use for you. Here's what you want:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashpl ... 64bit.html
Scroll down and click on the link that says "Download 64-bit Plugin for Linux (TAR.GZ, 3.6 MB)".

Extract it (with Archive Manager GUI or with Terminal, doesn't matter), and you'll get libflashplayer.so, a socket file (only this one is a 64-bit version of Flash). Open Firefox and type in "about:plugins" in the address bar. If you scroll down to Flash, you'll see the plug-in file Firefox uses (and Chromium, and Opera, etc.) is (should be) "/opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/libflashplayer.so". (It might just list libflashplayer.so...in that case, if you want to see the full path, there's a setting in "about:config" that enables it...I seem to forget it at the moment, sorry :P). Anyways, replace the libflashplayer.so file in /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64 with the one you just downloaded (recommended: backup the current libflashplayer.so file in /opt/ in case you screw up somewhere and need to revert back to the original socket file). You'll need root privileges for that, so either open up a root Nautilus window and cut and paste (open up a Nautilus window, right-click and select "Run as root..."), or use the Terminal for that, whichever method you find faster. Restart Firefox, go back to about:plugins, and double check to see if you're Flash plugin now says 10.0 r45, or go to the Adobe Flash site which will automatically check your current Flash plug-in. Hopefully it all worked out fine for you. :)
Gargalash

Post by Gargalash »

vincent,
Thanks a lot for your helpful answer!
I have followed your instructions and easily managed to update Flash, version is now 10.0.45.2
Along the way I learned about "Open as root" and how to check the plugins at about:plugins.

I will forget about the specific game on Miniclip, it is 100% sure that they are the problem now.

Thanks again!
vincent

Post by vincent »

No problem, I'm glad to see that my instructions worked for you. I was worried that they might be a bit unclear or vague at times. :P

Anyways, I tried looking for a solution directly for this issue regarding Miniclip, and I haven't found anything of note. But at least we're not alone! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=946374)
miniclipgames

Post by miniclipgames »

Great idea ! you are thinking very good.apply it..

Miniclip Games

Return to “Software & Applications”