DVD Copying

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

DVD Copying

Postby WindozeConvert on Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:50 pm

Is there a way to backup copyrighted DVD's as there is with windows (Any DVD and any burning program)? I like to backup all of my DVD movies and play the backups to keep the original preserved and would like to continue to do so with Linux Mint.
WindozeConvert
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: DVD Copying

Postby scorp123 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:57 pm

WindozeConvert wrote:Is there a way to backup copyrighted DVD's as there is with windows (Any DVD and any burning program)? I like to backup all of my DVD movies and play the backups to keep the original preserved and would like to continue to do so with Linux Mint.
I think k9copy might be what you want. Look for it in synaptic ("Add / Remove Programs ... ")
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby WindozeConvert on Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:06 pm

That looks good but I was wanting something that would write dual layer disks, just like the original. Do you know of anything that might fit the bill?
WindozeConvert
Level 1
Level 1

Postby friedtofu on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:33 pm

hm, i have never burned a dual layer dvd....

perhaps you could make an ISO rip from your DVD disk? then burn the image?
friedtofu
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:45 pm

WindozeConvert wrote:That looks good but I was wanting something that would write dual layer disks, just like the original. Do you know of anything that might fit the bill?
Although these tips are for the Gentoo distribution, most commands they show there should work on LinuxMint too:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Backup_a_DVD
If you want to try any of the programs they mention: replace Gentoo's emerge command with apt-get install ... e.g. instead of emerge vobcopy you'd install the program by typing apt-get install vobcopy, OK? Or simply use synaptic and search for the program's name and install it that way.

Regards,
Scorp123
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Iain on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:58 pm

http://www.linuxeq.com/ has several alternatives for DVDShrink. You'll have to look yourself to see if they do the specific job you want.
Iain
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications